How Do I....

Rate this topic

Make something like this.....

6oz_Can_BOLD_Wasabi_Soy_Front.png.416110fddf492ce5ebf5d984469b0cb5.png

only using cheerios instead of Almonds............?

Long story, but I wanna do it, just can't figure out how. Tried one thing and it was kind of a fail........Doesn't need to be that flavor, other spices will do.........

Sort of something like Chex Mix, only using Cheerios........

"You know the Bill of Rights is serving its purpose when it protects things you wish it didn't."

"You can no longer be oppressed if you are not afraid anymore - Unknown"

SOL Member #174

1lb raw nuts 

1 egg white

1 tbsp

spices and seasonings of choice

Coat nuts with egg white wash then with seasonings and roast on a baking sheet at 375 degrees for 13 to 14 minutes, mixing after 9 minutes.

This time works well with raw pistachios so you may may want to go a little longer with almonds.

I like using McCormick's Carribean Jerk seasoning mix. Just don't overdo it.

Edited by BARhopper

14 hours ago, RonG said:

SIM, put some powdered wasabi in a bag, cheerio shake. For the soy, that might be a little hard, cheerio would absorb the liquid.

Tried that, it doesn't stick to the Cheerios and all ends up in the bottom of the container.

14 hours ago, BARhopper said:

1lb raw nuts 

1 egg white

1 tbsp

spices and seasonings of choice

Coat nuts with egg white wash then with seasonings and roast on a baking sheet at 375 degrees for 13 to 14 minutes, mixing after 9 minutes.

This time works well with raw pistachios so you may may want to go a little longer with almonds.

I like using McCormick's Carribean Jerk seasoning mix. Just don't overdo it.

Not doing nuts, Cheerios. I tried doing something like that with melted butter, but I think I roasted them too long. Am afraid the Cheerios will adsorb the eggwash, but will give it a go and see what happens.

Ben - Belchertown is a good hour or more away from me, but we'll see what we can work out. I have plenty of which you speak. :)

"You know the Bill of Rights is serving its purpose when it protects things you wish it didn't."

SOL Member #174

1 hour ago, Steve in Mass said:

Not doing nuts, Cheerios. 

Missed that part while viewing it on my phone. 

Maybe take a look at the difference in ingredients between regular cheerios and honey nut cheerios to get an idea what they use as a binding agent for the flavoring ingredients?

Edited by BARhopper

Hmm. 

A quandary for sure. The porous nature of the Cheerios......

I keep rolling around thoughts of a starch slurry of some kind but I can't get past the "flour" taste that would likely accompany it.

Could try a sugar solution of some kind, spritzed from a spray bottle so it doesn't soak the Cheerios. 

May have to look into a specialized binding agent.

You could keep a container of the spice mixture on hand and dip your fingers in it before grabbing the Cheerios. Lol.

The most endangered species? The honest man.

18 hours ago, Steve in Mass said:

Make something like this.....

6oz_Can_BOLD_Wasabi_Soy_Front.png.416110fddf492ce5ebf5d984469b0cb5.png

only using cheerios instead of Almonds............?

Long story, but I wanna do it, just can't figure out how. Tried one thing and it was kind of a fail........Doesn't need to be that flavor, other spices will do.........

Sort of something like Chex Mix, only using Cheerios........

18 hours ago, RonG said:

SIM, put some powdered wasabi in a bag, cheerio shake. For the soy, that might be a little hard, cheerio would absorb the liquid.

Steve,

I'm on an eerily similar quest.  We eat a lot of popcorn in my house. Better for you than chips and Cheetos.  I always pop it myself on the stove top using kernels and usually EVOO.  I toss it dried white cheddar powder and garlic powder.  Kids complain when they go to the movie theather b/c the popcorn is soggy!

I made a couple of batches of dill pickle popcorn using a recipes I cobbled together online.  Really good. So I started trying to make my own version of the soy/wasabi stuff for popcorn.

I'm still tweaking the ratios, but the ingredients are spot on.

soy Powder - On Amazon, great stuff, will use in other applications going forward.  (Rib rub!)

Wasabi Powder - Also on Amazon

Citric Acid - Also.....

Ginger Powder

Good luck.  It's an addiction!  

"all of jase's posts are valid." -Otter

Okay, the back story.....

First off, I am adverse to sugar, not because I am diabetic, just cause I think it is poison. And trying to limit carbs as much as possible, as I get enough of them in liquid form.... :o

Cheerios are about the lowest in sugar and carbs I have found, being oats. They also have a fair amount of fiber which is a plus.

I drive the first 4 hours of my workday, and don't have time in the AM to have breakfast at home (waking up at 2 AM is challenging enough, I don't have time to stop for breakfast before I leave)

So I need something to eat as I drive. Celery sticks are a staple, sometimes carrots, sometimes radish slices. When cucs are good in season cuc slices work,

I used to get marked down wings from the wing bar at Shaw's, but that gets old, and is not exactly healthy everyday.

Sometimes I do tuna salad (with a fork out of a container, no bread), or if if remember to roast a chicken, chicken salad. And other times, depending on the leftovers, I try to work some type of protein in. For example, I made a roast beef early in the week, so today and tomorrow I have sliced/cubed roast beef.

But the Cheerios offer other things as I explained above, but just need more flavor other than munching on them plain out of hand.

The wasabi is one choice, but there is Old Bay, Garlic Powder, Oregano, Thyme, etc, and or any combination of them. Just need it to adhere without being a gloppy mess..........

Edited by Steve in Mass

SOL Member #174

49 mins ago, HugeDinghy said:

and funions man!

Well, yeah, no argument there, but.............

SOL Member #174

14 mins ago, Steve in Mass said:

Okay, the back story.....

First off, I am adverse to sugar, not because I am diabetic, just cause I think it is poison. And trying to limit carbs as much as possible, as I get enough of them in liquid form.... :o

Cheerios are about the lowest in sugar and carbs I have found, being oats. They also have a fair amount of fiber which is a plus.

I drive the first 4 hours of my workday, and don't have time in the AM to have breakfast at home (waking up at 2 AM is challenging enough, I don't have time to stop for breakfast before I leave)

So I need something to eat as I drive. Celery sticks are a staple, sometimes carrots, sometimes radish slices. When cucs are good in season cuc slices work,

I used to get marked down wings from the wing bar at Shaw's, but that gets old, and is not exactly healthy everyday.

Sometimes I do tuna salad (with a fork out of a container, no bread), or if if remember to roast a chicken, chicken salad. And other times, depending on the leftovers, I try to work some type of protein in. For example, I made a roast beef early in the week, so today and tomorrow I have sliced/cubed roast beef.

But the Cheerios offer other things as I explained above, but just need more flavor other than munching on them plain out of hand.

The wasabi is one choice, but there is Old Bay, Garlic Powder, Oregano, Thyme, etc, and or any combination of them. Just need it to adhere without being a gloppy mess..........

So why replace the almonds? Are you allergic? They're much healthier than Cheerios. And the outside has natural oils for the seasoning to adhere to. I make my own "hot" version (not wasabi although I like that one so it might be next) with buffalo wing rub and cayenne pepper.

I'll have mine on the rocks.

Just now, Eagles Dare said:

So why replace the almonds? Are you allergic? They're much healthier than Cheerios. And the outside has natural oils for the seasoning to adhere to. I make my own "hot" version (not wasabi although I like that one so it might be next) with buffalo wing rub and cayenne pepper.

No, because I am driving four hours and am not gonna eat an entire container of Blue Diamond Almonds everyday. ;)

As it is, I go thru about a cup and a half of Cheerios (which would be more than a whole can of almonds by half again), which is acceptable, but that many almonds/? :eek:

I eat those later in the day when I get home and making dinner.

SOL Member #174