BrianBM

Fluke and Fluorocarbon

Rate this topic

53 posts in this topic

1 min ago, BrianBM said:

Perhaps so, but if a given angler who is strikingly successful gives the reason he thinks he's doing so well, I will listen with interest to his thoughts. You wouldn't do so?

I agree you should copy him as far as line size and the rig but the fish don’t care about which leader material your using 

Well, that IS the topic of this thread.  I was surprised, given the water's murkiness, that fluorocarbon could make a difference.

A gent who I know to be a superb flatfish angler PMed me a comment that he's seen it make a difference, and always has a spool of 25 lb. fluorocarbon in his tackle box for occasions when the water's very clear.  

1 hour ago, Bow390 said:

I hate to break it to you but It’s not the fluorocarbon it’s the fisherman, if he was using the same exact rig with 20 pound mono he would of had the same exact day.

And fishing forums are riddled with unprovable statements of this sort... 

6 mins ago, buddha162 said:

And fishing forums are riddled with unprovable statements of this sort... 

It’s not unprovable I use fluro exclusively for years and my fishing partner stands right next to me every day with the same everything except he uses mono and we always catch around the same fish yearly 

2 hours ago, Bow390 said:

It’s not unprovable I use fluro exclusively for years and my fishing partner stands right next to me every day with the same everything except he uses mono and we always catch around the same fish yearly 

If you derive confidence from that data set, great! 

I'm always aiming for that one big bite...I couldn't care less the # of fish I land in a year. When my jig cross paths with a doormat, I want the odds firmly in my favor...not going to use mono leader to save a few pennies.

We should file this discussion away for winter consumption, when we're all crazy bored, along with "do fish see colors?" and "Ginger or Mary Ann?"

It's the same discussion over and over, even Albies' preference for floro comes into doubt come Fall...the reasoning is always, I had a banner day catching with 40lb big game (insert any anecdotal details here), therefore mono/floro *never* matters.

Yes, ^^^^ what he said.  

There are too many variables in the catching of a given fish to isolate the One Key Reason, assuming there is such a thing. The urge to try is always there, like the yearning for a new rod, or for the girl who wouldn't kiss us in high school. It's part of being human.