BrianBM

Fluke and Fluorocarbon

Rate this topic

53 posts in this topic

No disrespect meant but that rig would last one drop around the wrecks and rocks we fish. 

I fished with a guy who sells bait walker sinkers to offset his rigs off the bottom. He went through about $200 worth of his tackle and caught zero fish. I lost one jig head and some mono. Finished the day with five keepers. He didn’t care (probably a write off). For me, $200 is about a third of my yearly fishing budget. 

Fancy rigs can work if you pay attention to any bottom touches and lift immediately. We started using rubber bands to hold bank sinkers on 10# mono as a breakaway on 3-way rigs. It’s a good search rig. 

Therefore, Popasilov will never get to play with my toys, the meanie. 

I was just kidding; you are the best fishermen that ever lived

Give me one more chance, please.

:waah:

4 hours ago, Joser said:

I am surprised that no one has talked about the abrasion resistance of fluoro. That's a reason why I use it

Same here. I think people were too worked up over the price then the benefits of fishing it. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

7 hours ago, Joser said:

I am surprised that no one has talked about the abrasion resistance of fluoro. That's a reason why I use it

A few months back there was a long thread on the abrasion resistance Seaguar blue versus Berkeley big game. Some guy did a YouTube video testing the two. The mono was surprisingly way better.  FWIW, I’ve never chafed off a fluke.

Edited by Cpalms

Nylon absorbs water, and softens a bit when it does so. Fluoro doesn't absorb anything like the amount of water that nylon does. Hookmeup is right, the test would be more significant if both materials were tested wet.

I'm not going to do a test, but I think that wet vs. wet, there would be very little difference in abrasion resistance between nylon and fluorocarbon.

On 5/10/2019 at 8:06 PM, BrianBM said:

6. Not arguing success, I'll have at least one light-line rig with a fluoro leader next time.

+1 

Half a dozen or so yrs ago I transitioned to UL lines such as 8lb fireline (and even 6) with a fluoro leader on a light sensitive rod and I have definitely not looked back.  

I am using 14lb fluoro as a leader now, because its what I had a lot of.  

IMO/IME its really just more enjoyable IMO.  

Opinions vary.  I love UL 

I hate to break it to you but It’s not the fluorocarbon it’s the fisherman, if he was using the same exact rig with 20 pound mono he would of had the same exact day.

4 mins ago, Bow390 said:

I hate to break it to you but It’s not the fluorocarbon it’s the fisherman, if he was using the same exact rig with 20 pound mono he would of had the same exact day.

Perhaps so, but if a given angler who is strikingly successful gives the reason he thinks he's doing so well, I will listen with interest to his thoughts. You wouldn't do so?