BrianBM

Fluke and Fluorocarbon

Rate this topic

53 posts in this topic

I think in this case the 10lb braid was the difference there not necessarily the fluoro. Fluke are known to not be leader shy and will hit anything regardless. I think minimizing line diameter with 10lb braid he was probably able to fish his jigs better and more vertical then other offerings from the boat. To me that's the most essential part is to make sure your offering is vertical as possible. I personally use 20lb braid to 20lb fluoro on my setups. The fluoro is nice to have wreck fishing for abrasion resistance while wreck fishing for fluke/sea bass. 

Completely forgot I bought a spool of 20lb Seguar red label last summer, tied up some fluke rigs with it the other night. Maybe I'll try back to back with mono...interesting.

10 hours ago, firstlite said:

Probably more the skill of the angler and his tackle than the flouro carbon line.

I agree. 

Like squidder said, its s confidence thing. If your braid is light enough to fish a particular jig or rig properly, there's no need for fluoro.  I'm sure skill plays a much bigger part. Granted some days are better than others for me, but is it because fluke happen to be line shy that day? I'm guessing no. I think the only way to know for sure is if you're a fluke.

9 hours ago, nfd27 said:

To me that's the most essential part is to make sure your offering is vertical as possible.

To each their own, but my fluke jigging is almost exclusively horizontal. 

In any case, you'll never know about the fish that looked and swam away. If there's a downside to using floro leaders (asides from an extra penny or two per trip) that I'm not aware of, I'm all ears. 

Correct me if I’m wrong. Fluoro leader and fluoro fishing line are not the same thing. 

A spool of cheap fluoro leader material (trik) is significantly more costly than run of the mill fishing line (berkley big game fishing line). Fluoro leader 25 yards $12 ($0.48/yard). BBG $8 for 650 yards ($0.012/yard). About 40x difference for the cheap stuff. 

Fluoro fishing line $20.99 for 200 yards ($0.105/yard). 8.75x difference. 

When I was kayaking in the back bays, I did a few trips comparing fluoro leader vs monofilament line using the same jigs.  The score was 21-18. That was close enuf for me to believe it didn’t matter. 

On the BMH, the guys who catch use mono. 

On 5/9/2019 at 11:15 AM, Cpalms said:

See here is the thing - what you don’t see is the hours and hours of video with fluke swimming 100mph the other way when they see Skinner’s camera rig. There are times when your bait could be tied to anchor chain and you will get lots of bites.  Other times you need fluoro.  How can you tell which is which? I can’t.

A 50 yard spool of Seguar blue fluoro 30lb costs $25 on Amazon.  My rigs are about 4 feet long. That 50 yard spool yields 37.5 rigs at $0.66 per rig (I think I did that right lol).  Less than a buck a rig for even a slight advantage is one that I’ll take all day long.  

AGREED!!!  

After continued meditation .... I think my rigs failed for a couple of unrelated reasons.

1.  I was fishing with a buddy and his grandson. One doesn't fish much (unless with me) and the other just hasn't got a lot of time on the water just yet. I therefore rigged them up with bait rigs, BUT the dropper loop on the leader was too high, 8" or more above the sinker. On cold-water days when the fish are lethargic, you need to whack them on the head to get a bite.  A bait that brushes the fishes' nose will do better than one that passes overhead.  The loop for the snelled hook should've been lower.

2. I fished a bucktail, but probably it was too active (snap jigging.) 

3. Next bunch of rigs will be flourocarbon, for whatever difference it makes.

4. No spinners. I used small blades ahead of the baits on these rigs. And a mix of gold and silver spinners for rigs with them. 

5. Better bait. The squid provided by the boat was OK, the spearing were poor. Better to bring my own. 

6. Not arguing success, I'll have at least one light-line rig with a fluoro leader next time. 

On 5/9/2019 at 2:51 AM, firstlite said:

Probably more the skill of the angler and his tackle than the flouro carbon line.

So,

What are you trying to say?

That Mully doesn't know how to fish?

On 5/9/2019 at 1:39 PM, BrianBM said:

I agree. 

2 hours ago, Popasilov said:

So,

What are you trying to say?

That Mully doesn't know how to fish?

popi. don't know mully. prob never will. if he catches fish or not, doesn't matter to me. ask mully he was the one on the boat.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I once caught a fish, and my partner didn’t. I was using (        ) and he was using (          ) and that was what made the difference. From now on I will make sure I am using (        ).

So many of the things we do when we fish, our tricks, come about because we have perceptions that may not really matter. The key I think is not to gain more of them, but rather lose the ones that hold us back. 

Edited by FishinMortician

I fish fluke from the beach and use 20 or 30# Berkley Big Game. Have had several 50+ sessions. 

I've seen the videos with the fluke hitting baits hung on a rope with a camera. 

That said, this has me thinking I should buy a spool of flouro!

On the beach, I think it has more to do with casting to bars and across troughs, the retrieve speed, and action you impart in the bait. Can't wait!

Super light in the shallows but sometimes 12 , 14 or 16 oz is needed. Bling and GLOW  , this rig is 8” and gets a 12” strip plus a large Peruvian in the back hook. 

5C6F0F00-9D69-4485-BE42-1798C62797E2.jpeg

99D62F63-32F2-44FF-AEC6-6DF2988B3297.jpeg

1C62DE35-B621-4E9B-98B9-39132EB0FFC9.jpeg

FC60F2BA-D42E-4009-B3D2-7D878AFE9F00.jpeg

Posted (edited) · Report post

8 hours ago, firstlite said:

popi. don't know mully. prob never will........

LOL

You have seen him around, maybe haven't notice, yet.

8 hours ago, firstlite said:

.. if he catches or not,

He does,

He catches cold, flu, mosquito bites, etc.

Occasionally fish, too.

Edited by Popasilov