BrianBM

Fluke and Fluorocarbon

Rate this topic

53 posts in this topic

I was seriously outfished today by an angler on the Captree Princess, on an 8:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. fluke trip in Great South Bay. Reports had been good, reality was poor, but a buddy had persuaded his daughter to give in to his grandson's pleas to go fishing, and let him out of school for a day. The young man is nine, age-appropriately hyperactive, determined to catch fish, and a pleasure to accompany. 

The fishing was poor, but what was interesting about the sharpie was his recommendation that I use fluorocarbon in tying rigs for shallow water fluke. If the impulse to snell or tie a rig overcomes me, I usually use the same straight 47" lengths of nylon, the stuff I bought in bulk years ago from Midland Tackle (remember them?) or Terminal Tackle (recently defunct.) Fluorocarbon I've normally reserved for August, September and October, when little tunny and other sharp-eyed scombrids are about.  Thirty pound nylon has been my standard for shallow water fluke. 

Fishing ten pound braid let him fish deeply with light jigs, with a small feather teaser 20" above the jig. He rotated between three outfits according to water depth. All ended in a trace of fluoro. The outfit with the ten pound braid, a baitcasting reel, and twenty pound fluorocarbon, drew the most attention from the fish.  Alas, only a few were legal keepers. 

What's your take? Is fluorocarbon a significant asset in shallow water fluking (average depth was maybe six feet, but we were north of the Captree Drawbridge most of the time, with just one token drift in the channel through the last span of the Robert Moses Bridge. He had the results to back up his comment. 

Let the cognoscenti speak! 

Posted (edited) · Report post

he could be doing something with his hand,what triger fish and he can not explain himself, only that day not all time.

Edited by snag777

I have never noticed a difference when fishing for fluke and most of my fishing is in the shallows of Flanders and Shinny bays. That not to say Fluro isn't worth a try next time out.

I switched from flouro to the cheapest mono at Walmart. I fish with guys using fluoro and I don’t think it makes a difference at all except to your wallet. 

The fluke don’t seem to care.

It’s the gulp/meat/killie/squid that they want. 

100% fluoro when fluking.  I don’t care what anybody says. 

If you want to get crazy lightly (very lightly) rub the fluoro with a magic eraser to knock down the shine.  10lb braid is a game changer.

Floro also sinks, makes a difference if you're trying to get a light jig down deep. Imo, clean shallow water, floro leader is a no brainer. It's a no brainer for anything but topwater anyway...I can't remember the last time I tied on a mono leader. 

I agree with the 10 lb braid and 20 lb floro in the bay, night and day results. I fish floro for fluke at all times , even in the deep, small price to pay for any advantage it might provide.

I'm a little bias against fluro after unexplained line breakage with that said my thoughts. A fluke is swimming along the bottom and encounters crab traps, pilings, rope and even rod and reels (don't ask me how I know). And they gravitate toward these man made objects because they are structure and create opportunity for food to hide and for them to feed. I wondered what fish think laying on the bottom and sharks, big rays and even whales swimming overhead and all these at one point are new experiences. 

As DoorGunner once said holding a hook in his fingers, " fish don't know what this is, they were never taught about hooks" , and that made sense to me. How many video's have you seen where a fluke takes a bucktail and spits it and hits it again. There is even a video of fluke hitting a camera attached to a bucktail rig. I have a friend who fishes 20lbs fluro and does quite well and he even got me to try it, I ended up giving him the fluro. Why?, because I didn't have confidence in it and he did. He was like DoorGunner he had confidence that he was setup right and was going to catch fish and he did, I think the confidence is the game changer. The line used is just part of the game, you have already decided when, where and how possibly the more important factors in a successful day. MHO

the only time I had seen flouro line work for me, was in the blue clear offshore canyons for tuna. which you better tie good knots because you stepping down lb test to get the bite. When tuna are turned on throw the flouro out the window.

1 hour ago, pakalolo said:

I agree with the 10 lb braid and 20 lb floro in the bay, night and day results. I fish floro for fluke at all times , even in the deep, small price to pay for any advantage it might provide.

I do use 10lb braid and 20 lb mono Berkley big game for leader. In 5 ft or 120 ft of water. I have never used flouro for the price factor and probably saved hundreds if not thousands of dollars on line. I have landed many large fluke over my life. My 2cents.

i’ve been fishing fluoro leaders (especially) shore fishing or shallow water for fluke for a couple seasons.   i do think there are just a crapload more fluke (not necessarily big - but a lot of them 12-14”) but i also think the fluoro is best... especially if the water has any degree of “visibility”.

3 hours ago, squidder 329 said:

How many video's have you seen where a fluke takes a bucktail and spits it and hits it again. There is even a video of fluke hitting a camera attached to a bucktail rig. 

See here is the thing - what you don’t see is the hours and hours of video with fluke swimming 100mph the other way when they see Skinner’s camera rig. There are times when your bait could be tied to anchor chain and you will get lots of bites.  Other times you need fluoro.  How can you tell which is which? I can’t.

A 50 yard spool of Seguar blue fluoro 30lb costs $25 on Amazon.  My rigs are about 4 feet long. That 50 yard spool yields 37.5 rigs at $0.66 per rig (I think I did that right lol).  Less than a buck a rig for even a slight advantage is one that I’ll take all day long.