ThrowinPlugs

Better sealing for Hobie Hatches?

20 posts in this topic

Hey all, so I picked up a brand new 2016 Hobie Quest 13 for a STEAL of a price from a local yak shop. This thing is super nice! I'm currently setting it up as usual with the FF, today holders etc in preparation for the spring and summer. My question is I hear the Hobie hatches tend to leak if the deck takes water. I was wondering if there was a fix for this? Or is it blown out of proportion?

Posted (edited) · Report post

Sweet, looks like it's the paddle version of the Revo 13. If you're talking about the round hatches, the only thing I've found is that even if the hatch is "locked" you can and should still push it down to seal it fully.  Even without doing that it's not like much water makes it through - you could get it all with one swipe of a sponge. I think most of it gets in when I open the hatch to access it, honestly. I also hit the seal with 303 protectant a couple of times a year just in case.

Edited by drmevo

1 hour ago, drmevo said:

Sweet, looks like it's the paddle version of the Revo 13. If you're talking about the round hatches, the only thing I've found is that even if the hatch is "locked" you can and should still push it down to seal it fully.  Even without doing that it's not like much water makes it through - you could get it all with one swipe of a sponge. I think most of it gets in when I open the hatch to access it, honestly. I also hit the seal with 303 protectant a couple of times a year just in case.

Cool thanks for the input. That's exactly what it is, they referred to it as the little sister ship to the revo13. Allegedly their fastest and top paddler. I figured for 800 bucks it was more than worth it. I'm stoked.

28 mins ago, ThrowinPlugs said:

Cool thanks for the input. That's exactly what it is, they referred to it as the little sister ship to the revo13. Allegedly their fastest and top paddler. I figured for 800 bucks it was more than worth it. I'm stoked.

Hell yes, for brand new that’s absolutely a steal. Does it have the transducer plate? If it does, I don’t think there would be any difference with a newer version?

2 hours ago, drmevo said:

Hell yes, for brand new that’s absolutely a steal. Does it have the transducer plate? If it does, I don’t think there would be any difference with a newer version?

Yeah it was brand new, a showroom demo, never touched water. It has the transducer plate, and original seat. I believe they did away with the transducer plate in exchange for the new vantage seat? Either way, I'm very stoked. The main hatch seems to seal very well, only time will tell. Next is installing the rudder system that's foot controlled.

18 mins ago, ThrowinPlugs said:

Yeah it was brand new, a showroom demo, never touched water. It has the transducer plate, and original seat. I believe they did away with the transducer plate in exchange for the new vantage seat? Either way, I'm very stoked. The main hatch seems to seal very well, only time will tell. Next is installing the rudder system that's foot controlled.

I don’t think I would want the Vantage seat in a paddle version of the Revo. You’ll probably feel a little more stable and connected to the boat. 

I also think you’ll be really glad you did the rudder.

The quest is actually quite the paddle yak, just sits in the shadow of all the mirage kayaks. Even better with the rudder installed though I tried it with the rudder up too and was impressed. I got to fish one for a day and really enjoyed it, was even standing and fly casting in some backwaters. I didn't think it would be that stable but it was. This one had the vantage seat and it was great BTW.

Edited by monstahfish

Unless....

Yeah as long as you remember to keep the drain plug in when the hatches leak their asses off and you had to drain a gallon of chop out.     :laugh:

I always check twice before launching that there's always a drain plug in and sealed.   I'll never forget the time I was in Hull and felt like there was something really wrong with my Adventure while I was fighting a decent Bass in the rip. 

*note to self...keep extra drain plug in vest!

1 hour ago, flylikabird said:

Unless....

Yeah as long as you remember to keep the drain plug in when the hatches leak their asses off and you had to drain a gallon of chop out.     :laugh:

I always check twice before launching that there's always a drain plug in and sealed.   I'll never forget the time I was in Hull and felt like there was something really wrong with my Adventure while I was fighting a decent Bass in the rip. 

Speaking of drain plugs, under the seat are two plug looking things. Are the self draining scupper plugs? I've only ever used the regular cup style.

1 hour ago, flylikabird said:

Unless....

I did the same about two miles of Matunuck Beach.  You only do it once...

Yup.   People look at you sideways when you keep checking the stern before you launch a few times, but I don't care.  I'm just satisfied to eventually jump in happy that I'm tight!!!!!!!!!!!!

5cd8babec0d9a_tight-tight-tight1.jpg.1cb819564801e12edc98ae402ece1d2e.jpg

Edited by flylikabird

Old Town may have a drive that cannot be submerged with out taking water into the drive itself through the crank but Old Town hatches smokes Hobie.  I have never seen a drop of water in the Old Town Topwater.  I almost always have water in the hull of my 2018 Revo.

Edited by The Riddler

the water comes in thru the bow hatch the most. On a nice day i only get a couple cups of water but on a rough day i can get a couple gallons in my outback. haven't really looked for a solution but your twist locks are not the problem. 

Edited by Striper46

Yeah I've tried messing around with the bow hatch and I just live with it.    If I know I'm gonna be in the slop it's something to keep an eye on or it'll cost ya.