bob_G

Ticks

Rate this topic

70 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Eagles Dare said:

Took my dogs for several walks this weekend on the canal. First trip of the year for the camper and it somehow ended up with quite a few ants inside. After one of the walks I felt something on my neck. Reached up and grabbed what I thought was the "ant", it ended up being a tick.

I love how they pop when you burn them with a lighter.  

Pix or it didn't happen. :p

Pulled 2 off my dog and one off me today. Not embedded, dog ticks. They are thick and active. Going to get some permethrin tomorrow and soak some clothes. Bad as I've ever seen. 

I had a few embedded during turkey season. But otherwise not a big deal.  But my dog has been relatively free of them until this week. Dog ticks. I cant get over how fast they gorge themselves on blood. We check him thoroughly each morning. Check him again in the evening, and there's one as big as a grape. 

I pulled off a deer tick this week and one last week. Little welt but no bullseye, I don't thin  they were in long. Finding a lot on the dog and cat despite prevention. A lot of them this year..

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 5/8/2019 at 11:51 PM, bob_G said:

I realize ticks are no joke. A good friend had anaplamosis a couple years ago and was hospitalized for it. My present dog Charlie had anaplasmosis this Jan. Hes a tough guy, and he was hurting and we acted on it quick.. He went through a one month course of doxy and a week of rymadyl.

But I also qorry about permethrin. It was that long ago everyone was raving about the effectiveness and safety of roundup.

Permethrin is the man made synthetic version of pyrethrum which is organic, its extracted from the chrysanthemum plant. It cost a little more but will act just as well as permethrin for keeping ticks off you if your concerned about the safety of permethrin you may want to give it a shot. Remember a tick has to be fully engorged to transmit Lyme can take up to 36 hours. If you pull a non engorged tick even embedded you won't get Lyme from that. Ticks suck 

http://www.livingwithbugs.com/permethrin_pyrethrum.html

Edited by alpha baiter
Spelling

1 hour ago, Kones1 said:

There are several tick borne illnesses now that are much worse than Lyme and can kill you quick  !  

Trust me, I know. This Jan my dog came down with anaplasmosis. Within12 hours he was a mess.  Fortunately he responded well, and had no issues with antibiotics.

3 hours ago, Kones1 said:

I have had Lyme twice and anaplasmosis.  The latter comes on quickly and put me in the hospital 

Yup on the anaplaz. Same deal for me a few years back. Put ticks on the same #### list as seals.