bob_G

Ticks

Rate this topic

61 posts in this topic

22 hours ago, bob_G said:

So vinegar predated leaches and snakes?

Dunno about predating, but fermentation, the process by which alcohol and vinegar are product of, has been around since yeast have been around. Good chance vinegar like compounds were  around with the first leaches and snakes.

4 hours ago, Eagles Dare said:

Hate to say it, but they haven't been bad around here yet. I bought Permethin to spray my turkey clothes with but haven't gotten around to it yet. Still, have not had a tick on me this season.

I leave the clothes outside between hunts just in case. Don't want to bring any inside with me.  

ED,

Same with my last time out.  Spent the better part of yesterday walking across fields and laying on the ground calling birds. Even fell asleep for awhile. No ticks yesterday.

However, I think the blk flies are ready to explode.:scared:

6 mins ago, bob_G said:

Already horrendous here once it warms up after the morning chill. I've got a full beekeeper's style headnet, and I've had to break it out quite a bit already. No sign of mosquitos yet though. Once they start buzzing around it really cuts down on the enjoyment factor of being in the spring woods.  

3 mins ago, Eagles Dare said:

Already horrendous here once it warms up after the morning chill. I've got a full beekeeper's style headnet, and I've had to break it out quite a bit already. No sign of mosquitos yet though. Once they start buzzing around it really cuts down on the enjoyment factor of being in the spring woods.  

Mosquitos are usually the final straw for me too.  Its all wonderful until they arrive. 

The GF said to me their a bug on your armrest middle console. I look at it and later found out it was Adult Female Deer tick. I start freaking out . When or how it got in there . I must have caught it on Friday while fishing.  I don't think it had a chance to bite anyone including my self.  I guess i got lucky. 

On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 2:59 PM, bob_G said:

ED,

Same with my last time out.  Spent the better part of yesterday walking across fields and laying on the ground calling birds. Even fell asleep for awhile. No ticks yesterday.

What precautions did you take to avoid being bitten again???????????????

On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 2:59 PM, bob_G said:

....  Spent the better part of yesterday walking across fields and laying on the ground even fell asleep for awhile. No ticks yesterday.

Lucky you didn't go through a Rip Van Winkle experience.   :scared:

39 mins ago, Joe G said:

Lucky you didn't go through a Rip Van Winkle experience.   :scared:

I sleep in the woods a lot. :snr:

9 hours ago, b-ware said:

What precautions did you take to avoid being bitten again???????????????

Berny that will be in the next addition of Bobs annual discussion post when once again we go around and around on the effects of tick bites and how to get treated for what ever disease you can get as a result of its bite. One can say that is the precaution to avoid ticks completely and keep the conversation current with no changes from year to year . It does make for some interesting postings however:howdy:

I'm going to stick with Permithrin. I'm more afraid of the diseases the ticks carry than any effects from Permithrin.I have had no tick bites the last two years deer hunting in Ct. I had my share before I started using it. I only spray my pants and only use them when hunting and it works.

13 mins ago, JohnQ said:

I'm going to stick with Permithrin. I'm more afraid of the diseases the ticks carry than any effects from Permithrin.I have had no tick bites the last two years deer hunting in Ct. I had my share before I started using it. I only spray my pants and only use them when hunting and it works.

John that is what a wise person does that is out among in the woods with harmful ticks . When I first moved here I was treated so many times before I could eradicate spray them from my yard and now I keep the turkeys around a little longer in the spring to also eat them away .  I have lost two friends over the past two years who died from Lymes and another is on his way . It is hard to ignore the fatal results of this critter.

On 5/9/2019 at 8:20 AM, Joe G said:

Yep, I've been doing the same for years......one tablespoon of Bragg's Organic Apple Cider Vinegar daily.

In my many years of romping thru the underbrush at BSP and Cranes Beach I've never had an incident of having to remove a tick from my body. Some may call it luck, but I attribute it to ingesting a daily dose of Bragg's.

I sucked down two tablespoons of this today before I dragged wood.  No ticks or black flies for that matter.  Last times in the same area, I picked off several.  I'm going to keep using it and see.

1 hour ago, BrianBM said:

Sounds like I need to start a coop of guinea fowl if I move to Massachusetts. 

Next thing you're going to say you're taking up turkey hunting.