bob_G

Ticks

Rate this topic

61 posts in this topic

In spite of precautions, the ticks seem to be winning. So far I've had 3 embedded in my back. Now I have 3 15mm sores as a reminder.

34 mins ago, bob_G said:

In spite of precautions, the ticks seem to be winning. So far I've had 3 embedded in my back. Now I have 3 15mm sores as a reminder.

What precautions did you take if I might ask?????

Got mine 10 days ago, the bite went away but I still have that feeling of something crawling all over me. Hate the damned things...

50 mins ago, bob_G said:

….. So far I've had 3 embedded in my back. Now I have 3 15mm sores as a reminder.

Now, if you and Josey Wales had met up with Granny Hawkins, she would have given you "poultices laced with feathermoss and mustard root. Drop of water and keep it moist".    ;) 

Permethrin works! Need to pick up some more after today.

Today my daughter came in from walking the dog, around the yard, on a leash, ....

Came in with four ticks on her! They are plentiful, and they are hungry this year!

Never had them on me in my neck of the woods in Maine.  I've had about 10 on me just from my yard already this year.

Went to turn on my hose at the spigot today and found one crawling there.  Same spot had another one on it 10 minutes later.

Hate those things.

2 hours ago, bob_G said:

No.

Normally I'm a 'to each their own' type.. but really Bob, I gotta be that guy and strongly recommend permethrin. Hate to see you get sick with Lyme or anaplasmosis. That stuff is nothing to fool around with and permethrin is safe.

"[Permethrin] use during pregnancy appears to be safe. It is approved for use on and around people over the age of two months.

It is on the World Health Organization's List of Essential Medicines, the most effective and safe medicines needed in a health system."

Posted (edited) · Report post

Ticks are no joke. Those sores sound like you might have Lyme disease (typical sores look like a large ring, often resembling a bull's eye). It can really knock you on your ass. I've had it, and it was devastating until I got the antibiotics needed to treat it. I highly recommend you go to your doctor and get checked out right away. The longer you wait, the worse it'll be. The treatment is a course of doxycycline, which isn't the most pleasant antibiotic to take but it works.

Edited by bcgrab

Posted (edited) · Report post

Had a Lyme about 12 years ago after just one bite. I was living in Wayland back then and all it took just one short walk around the neighborhood. 

Edited by oceanAddict

I realize ticks are no joke. A good friend had anaplamosis a couple years ago and was hospitalized for it. My present dog Charlie had anaplasmosis this Jan. Hes a tough guy, and he was hurting and we acted on it quick.. He went through a one month course of doxy and a week of rymadyl.

But I also qorry about permethrin. It was that long ago everyone was raving about the effectiveness and safety of roundup.

Bob, At least Permethrin is applied to clothing, not your skin. Spray it on and one dose will last a few weeks. I have a few items of clothing that I use just for hunting and fishing that stay out in the shed with Permethrin on them to throw when I'm heading out into tic infested areas.

I agree your comment re Roundup, bad stuff. It's harm to all discovered too late.

I was told drinking apple cider vinegar helps keeping ticks away.  I've been drinking apple cider vinegar for few years just for health benefits.  Never had a single tick on me.