New Hampshire Shoreline Access

Rate this topic

What is New Hampshire’s law on shoreline access for fishermen?

I know Maine and Mass. both allow access to fishermen, hunters, travelers in the tidal zone of private property, but I cannot find anything for NH.  

Thanks

9 hours ago, drmevo said:

Looks like it is the same, the mean low tide line. I always thought it was the high tide line. That really sucks! Glad I never tried fishing below the high tide line on someone's property. 

I actually called NH Fish and Game to get an official answer. 

Fishermen are fine below the HIGH tide line, FYI. 

33 mins ago, tnetherc said:

I actually called NH Fish and Game to get an official answer. 

Fishermen are fine below the HIGH tide line, FYI. 

Thanks for correcting me, good to know. All I could find was that property lines were defined by the mean low tide line. So it’s basically like an easement on private property I guess?

11 hours ago, drmevo said:

Thanks for correcting me, good to know. All I could find was that property lines were defined by the mean low tide line. So it’s basically like an easement on private property I guess?

You have to access the shoreline via a legal route or your open to trespassing claim.

25 mins ago, BradO said:

You have to access the shoreline via a legal route or your open to trespassing claim.

Yup, that is how I always understood it. I just thought property lines were defined by the high tide line. I understand we have a right to be there below that line (as long as we get there legally, like you say), but somehow it'd be easier for me to tell an angry landowner to pound sand if it wasn't actually their property I was standing on. 

Edited by drmevo

I've done it in lots of locations and I love it when homeowners come out to throw me off Property that is below the high water mark. I just pull phone and Quote Mass. public law, Ma. chapter 91 "The Public Waterfront Act. I love it when They try to call the Police. :beatin::rav::waah:

(*member formerly known as 'Johhygolf')

In 23 years I've had no issues in NH, but when I lived in Maine I sometimes did (York county) and in Mass I had the cops come down while I was anchored off the beach in my boat! I mean the boat was ugly but I didn't think it impeded the view for tha mansion people THAT much. I told them to try the Coast Guard, no follow thought happened though..

9 hours ago, stormy monday said:

In 23 years I've had no issues in NH, but when I lived in Maine I sometimes did (York county) and in Mass I had the cops come down while I was anchored off the beach in my boat! I mean the boat was ugly but I didn't think it impeded the view for tha mansion people THAT much. I told them to try the Coast Guard, no follow thought happened though..

SMFH!!  So sad.  Why did the cops even come down/talk to you?  They had to know they were totally out of their jurisdiction.  

I've heard of boat-bound fishermen screamed at for fishing "too close" to people's docks and stealing "their" fish!!!!???

Shall I go to heaven or a-fishing? - H. D. Thoreau

Veni.  Vidi.  Cepi. - with apologies to Gaius Julius Caesar

5 mins ago, Roccus7 said:

SMFH!!  So sad.  Why did the cops even come down/talk to you?  They had to know they were totally out of their jurisdiction.  

I've heard of boat-bound fishermen screamed at for fishing "too close" to people's docks and stealing "their" fish!!!!???

"Too Close" Their our Fish!! Now that is some Funny Chit!!!

(*member formerly known as 'Johhygolf')

10 hours ago, stormy monday said:

I've been asked to leave by a security guard while night fishing by a ritzy NH marina (hint, it's located at a ritzy NH hotel) from my kayak. I wasn't even within the "boundaries" of the marina. I assured him I wouldn't hit any of the multi-million dollar yachts and he acknowledged he couldn't make me leave so we left it at that. :shrug:

4 hours ago, Roccus7 said:

Wow, that's new depths of idiocy. :kook:

Pfantum Pfishah