DeepCastMike

Lure Color option?

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Hey Guys, Good morning. Quick question, whats a good color for either a needle or popper lure for stripers on cloudy days? Just wondering or even what lure would YOU use for cloudy days?? Any advise would help. Newbie here :)

Personally i wouldnt get too hung up on color of lures. 90% of what i use under most conditions is white or light colored, even at night. Ill occasionally go with black or blurple but i havent noticed a huge diff. Color variants seem to hook more fishermen than fish. Id focus more on lure shape, size, and action for the bait thats in the area. And even more about tide and location. 

awesome thanks for the info. I might go out tomorrow am and i saw cloudy so i was trying to get an idea what to bring with me

bdowning summed it up for ya.  I'd add that for poppers colors attract the angler.  The commotion attracts the fish.  Some will disagree and suggest that color is important on these plugs as well but I never noticed a difference if a friend is throwing a white SS and I throw a green custom.  Both get whacked if the fish are their. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

every day bone, yellow over white.  

the only time i might switch this up is if i need a needle over the rocks in exotic locations. 

Please only buy one needle until i tell  you there is a sand eel bite.  These are a very bait specific lure in my mind and usually every tackle shop has them. Im pretty sure most of the guys fishing right now don't have needles in their bags.  If you go to block island this summer or we get a fall sand eel bite we can talk needles. 

I may seem grumpy but i don't want you to end up with a bunch of **** you don't need. chances are if it's going to hit a needle this spring it was going to hit an sp minnow. 

Edited by crazybellringer

White, Black or yellow is all you need. Like others have said, don't get caught up on color. Pay more attention to tide, location and bait presented in the water. I'd recommend a couple Yozuri Hydro Minnows or SP Minnows along with a few metals and bucktails in different weights. Can't go wrong with some rubber as well (shads, worms, etc...) If you purchase the SP's remove the crappy hooks they come with and replace with stronger trebles. 

Wide open topic. There are times when a specific lure, any color will get it done and nothing else will. ( Action ) Also the same applies to colors. Maybe only white, maybe yellow etc. ( Color)

These are rare exceptions.

Generally because lighter lures are more useful, that's what I would have in my bag if I had limited space. If I was fishing in the dark I would suggest at least one blurple or dark plug and one needlefish regardless of the bait in the water...I like medium to darker greens and dark over light bellies with a tail hook or flag. ( Good at night, still useful in daylight ) Regardless you should always have space for bucktails and your dressing of choice and some rubber shads.