Best DAIWA BG reel size for CCC?

Rate this topic

LateralLine

A BG is a nice $100 reel and performs well above its price range. If I had the choice I would use the BG 5000 more on a lighter rod for bucktails and swimbaits on the beach. It sounds like you might be looking for a reason to get a new reel. If so look into getting a Penn Slammer III 6500 for the 2-6 rod. The Slammer is just built a little beefier and has a more comfortable handle. When pulling in 20lb+ fish in current you will appreciate it. I have seen people selling unused 6500 Slammers for around 150-160 so its not gonna break the bank. That being said there is nothing wrong with using what you have now and always a reason to add more gear to your collection.

Thanks for everyone’s input, especially any CCC locals.  The setup is brand new and I never fished the canal before so I was just double checking. Some guys are telling me I should go with a heavier reel but everyone here seems to agree BG5K is fine. I’m planning to spool it with 40# 832.

I’m an experienced fisherman and am not planning on “casting over anyone’s head” or “stand in between you and your fishing buddy who you’re having a conversation with” or any of the other crazy googan stuff I hear about.

That’s insanity, and just not cool in my book. Not into combat fishing!

Perhaps a BG 6500 would be better suited on my 11foot Tica Dolphin Surf 3-8oz? 

Edited by LateralLine

On 5/8/2019 at 0:28 PM, beerdoh said:

My BG5000 is on it's 3rd season. I only use it at the canal but have caught dozens of large fish with it. 40lb PP is the ticket for me. I would recommend replacing the roller bushings with bearings and try not to dunk it. 

+1 on the 5000.  Three seasons on the ditch for mine as well.  Still going strong.

Where can I find the proper bearing, beerdoh?

G.B.O.G.H. -- DT326

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has."--M. Mead

Be safe, be smart, be kind.--Gary Crocker, Maine Humorist/Philosopher

2 hours ago, Southcoastphil said:

+1 on the 5000.  Three seasons on the ditch for mine as well.  Still going strong.

Where can I find the proper bearing, beerdoh?

Phil, I got my bearings at Fishermen’s HQ. they are Penn bearings. I believe same size as the slammer 5500. You need 2 of them. 

3 mins ago, beerdoh said:

Phil, I got my bearings at Fishermen’s HQ. they are Penn bearings. I believe same size as the slammer 5500. You need 2 of them. 

Different bearings, I'm guessing, for either end of the bail?

G.B.O.G.H. -- DT326

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has."--M. Mead

Be safe, be smart, be kind.--Gary Crocker, Maine Humorist/Philosopher

The line roller bushings on the BG5000SW are 2 polymer collars that seat into both ends of the line roller itself. The bushings are 4x9x3.25mm by my measurements. If you are interested in replacing the bushings with economical shielded bearings, then Penn has 4x9x3 shielded roller bearings that are used in multiple reel models. The Penn SSV6500 (and other models) is what comes close to the BG 5000. You need two of them and the retail price is like $3.70 each.

I personally would prefer “sealed bearings” and would like to find a better solution that has the exact width of the BG bushings. So, if anyone knows more than me about this please let me know. Hope that helps.