Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ksong

mothership in Panama

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I am here at Panama Sport Fishing Lodge with other 8 anglers in Panama.

We are assigned with 100' luxurious boat for mothership and we fish with two 35' center console boats from tomorrow.

We are going to tag tuna. Last year we tagged over 80 tuna and I hope we can tag 100 tuna on this trip.  

Of course, I will test Black Hole USA rods for tuna. :)

The mothership will be anchored in a bay of Coiba Island for the whole trip.

There is no internet.  So next report will be on May 12.

20190507_143357.jpg

Edited by ksong

I just returned to main lodge after 5 days incredible tuna popping on a mothership.

We tagged 95 tuna and released 151 tuna between two boats.

This video will tell what Panama tuna popping is all about.

I will post pictures and videos soon. 

You got to be impressed with the mothership operation of PSFL.

We fished 5 days on the 100' luxurious mother ship with 6 crew. The take care of us everything. They wash our clothes after a day trip for the next day trip. They provide excellent food and unlimited hard liquor free of charge.

We are provided with two 32' - 35' boats with twin engines. Capt and mate worked hard and they never fish.
Instead of beating for 2 hours from/to the main lodge every day, it is short 30 minutes ride to the fishing ground. The rate is under $3000 based on 4 anglers on a boat. How can you beat the price for such a fantastic operation. Besides, fishing is truly world class.
We shall be back next year.

20190509_171107.jpg

20190507_200426.jpg

20190508_193154.jpg

20190509_202529.jpg

20190510_201344.jpg

20190511_201753.jpg

Edited by ksong

14 hours ago, ksong said:

I just returned to main lodge after 5 days incredible tuna popping on a mothership.

We tagged 95 tuna and released 151 tuna between two boats.

This video will tell what Panama tuna popping is all about.

I will post pictures and videos soon. 

notice how they sounded when the other boat decided to run so close, so much for a slow approach

They run right on the boiling tuna. :) No mercy. But there are many boils and sometimes there is no boat nearby.

Edited by ksong

25 mins ago, ksong said:

You got to be impressed with the mothership operation of PSFL.

We fished 5 days on the 100' luxurious mother ship with 6 crew. The take care of us everything. They wash our clothes after a day trip for the next day trip. They provide excellent food and unlimited hard liquor free of charge.

We are provided with two 32' - 35' boats with twin engines. Capt and mate worked hard and they never fish.
Instead of beating for 2 hours from/to the main lodge every day, it is short 30 minutes ride to the fishing ground. The rate is under $3000 based on 4 anglers on a boat. How can you beat the price for such a fantastic operation. Besides, fishing is truly world class.
We shall be back next year.

20190509_171107.jpg

20190507_200426.jpg

20190508_193154.jpg

20190509_202529.jpg

20190510_201344.jpg

20190511_201753.jpg

Kil, glad you had a great trip. Makes me want to go back there again.

Kil in your description of the trips cost; the fee of under $3000... is all inclusive of the mother ship with the boat you fished off of ?

Is the mother ship anchored off your fishing grounds in the above photo; if so what island is that?

Lou  

Is that Island off of Hannibal Banks the Island of Coiba

Lou

Edited by Lou T

Worldclass fishing, beautiful ship and restaurant class food, looks awesome! I have a 5 day kayak trip down there coming up in a few weeks. The airfare is about $725 to Panama city, plus a long transfer south to the Cerro Hoya area.

Copa changed the policies of long fishing rod case.

They wouldn't allow longer than 62" rod case free of charge and they charge as high as $150.

One angler who fly from Los Angeles to Panama City had to pay $150 for  a rod case and another angler had to pay $150 for a rod case when he flied from Panama City to David.

When they did not charge my rod case when I flied from Panama City to David. 

But according to the regulations, you should pay $150 for a rod case longer than 62".

The other issue is reels in a carry on bags.

I put my Stella 20000 without spool in my carry on bag. But they did  not allow at the checking point at David and I had to pay $40 for extra check-in bag. 

They say it doesn't matter the reel has lines on it or not and the reel have to be check in. 

This is the first time any airport disallows a reel without lines.

Edited by ksong