iphish

HBO's Chernobyl

Rate this topic

61 posts in this topic

Having lived thru the history of the event Its always had some interest with me, anyone planning on watching the series?

on a side note there are some amateur video on youtube of people visiting the site many years later.

I'm set up to record the entire series. Early bed tonight, fishing trip tomorrow. 

With GoT closing up, HBO will doubtless trail a bunch of short series before us, trolling for responses, to see what the Next Big thing can be. As long as something turns up with gratuitous sex and violence, I'll be content, though Chernobyl doesn't sound like a series that will provide either one.

I watched the first episode and really liked it. 

What's the deal with Hollywood casting British actors for any place in the world that's not America? 

don't waste time with "drama".

this is probably the best documentary on the subject. search: The Battle of Chernobyl

2 hours ago, iphish said:

Having lived thru the history of the event Its always had some interest with me, anyone planning on watching the series?

on a side note there are some amateur video on youtube of people visiting the site many years later.

A few years back Anthony Bourdain visited the site on one of his shows . Creepy and interesting 

2 mins ago, Sandflee said:

A few years back Anthony Bourdain visited the site on one of his shows . Creepy and interesting 

Jeremy Wade from River Monsters did too. 

A LONG time ago, there was a good looking chick that used to ride her motorcycle through there and record it for her website. It was pretty cool. 

There was a pretty decent show about what would happen if mankind died off instantaneously, and the Chernobyl site was used as an example. 

Believe it was “Life After People”. 

8 hours ago, Scallywag said:

A LONG time ago, there was a good looking chick that used to ride her motorcycle through there and record it for her website. It was pretty cool. 

This one?

2 hours ago, woowoo2 said:

This one?

I actually don't think that's her. I haven't seen it in a long time... I'm thinking like 15-20 years ago. 

I have an interesting story related to that nuclear disaster region.

I have a cousin in Ireland that made a trip up to that region of Russia on a medical humanitarian aid visit.

Their goal was to bring medical supplies and treatment to the people in outlying towns that are suffering from the effects of radiation poisoning. She took photos of the region as well as many of the people they met and treated.

Beyond the devastation this disaster created, the illnesses and subsequent birth defects had been shocking.

Here is one story that she relayed to us on my last visit.

They were driving a convoy of vehicles loaded with medical supplies across the borders of not only Russia, but the various "checkpoints" set up along their route where the military would inspect all vehicle and confiscate whatever they could (if it had value on the black market). One such check point had my cousin's truck wondering what the guards were looking for and would they steal their supplies? They all made it through safely and my cousin asked the driver if everything was OK. The driver explained the "check point" process and since they knew the guards would probably stolen everything they could, they had to devise a way of hiding their supplies.

They drove a bit, and all stopped to check their trucks, and then my cousin realized why they weren't too worried...

The trucks were all equipped with secret compartments built into the walls, so when the guards searched all they found were basic medical supplies (band aids, ointments, etc.) They proceeded to open all the secret panels exposing all the valuable tools, medicines and all...I guess this wasn't their first experience with this.

I mentioned that she took photos...These were probably some of the most disturbing photos of children born in a nuclear wasteland I can imagine. The birth defect rate had skyrocketed, and the rate of cancer jumped as well.

I come to find out that my cousin has a thyroid issue, no doubt caused by her exposure in that region.

I say that because they had also had children from that same region (that appeared to be healthy) come to Ireland for a month. Most of them were being treated for thyroid cancer. Seems that the most common cancer from that region is thyroid cancer. I happened to be there during one of these month-long visits and helped out with some of the fun activities they had planned for these kids. I was told that this time away from their homes would conceivably add years to their lives! 

Only time will tell what effect the Japan nuclear accident will have on that region???