Second Spey Lesson Today

Rate this topic

Mike Oliver

Drove up north with my close friend Mike for some more Spey casting lessons.

Our instructor is simply world class. Pity his pupils were not.LOL. It was a privalage  to observe his casts. Trying to emulate another matter but very motivational.

Very inspirational day and very humbling. This is way more difficult than I had anticipated.

looks very simple but for me it is not. But the feel and sensation of just a half right cast is just fantastic. I can see why so many guys are hooked on it.

I realised that  for me at any rate the total futility of trying to self teach from videos.

You have utterly  no idea of what you are actually doing compared to what you think you are doing.

So the  facility to groove in an extremely poor cast is there for the taking.

The mantra so often repeated of practice practice and more practice is not helpful unless you have someone who can correct your stroke or footwork or any other aspect of what makes for a decent cast.

We used a 15 foot Sage Igniter.. Very powerful is the only useful comment I can make at this stage. 

If you have never tried spey casting it is well worth giving it a try out.

I am captivated already.

Mike

Edited by Mike Oliver

24 mins ago, nedakjohn said:

Getting addicted.  Look what jumped on my rod during a practice session.

You're a much braver man then me Nedakjohn. I can't count the number of times I whacked myself in the face with the fluff while I was learning to spey cast. The thought of putting a hook in that fluff scared the pants off me until I stopped hitting myself.

Nice fish though! :)

Cheers,

Graeme

FFi Certified Casting Instructor

Last spey practice session of mine I had a musky roll on my fly like a tarpon. I was freaking out. Didn't get a second chance unfortunately. 

Mike your 14' MkI speys 925 grains like nobodies business. I'm total ***** at it mostly but I can get a few good casts away and it feels so good to do it. 

I got hooked two seasons ago and now own three true spey rods, a switch and a two hand overhead rod.  Tonight will be my first striper outing of the year- solid outgoing tide- I will be swinging with my Meiser 13' 7.  Apparently, I had it ridiculously underlined ( 375 OPST) and will have the Skagit max 525 on it tonight.  Looking forward to swinging my bunny creation tonight.

bunny fly.jpg

I would ******* LOVE a grave blanket. icon14.gif

13 hours ago, Hirdy said:

Sounds like you're having fun Mike. Enjoy the journey mate.

Cheers,

Graeme

Graeme

It is a strange kind of fun. You will understand. Your head is overloaded with what you have to,do. You dont do certain things you should. You get frustrated. You get angry with yourself. Your mind can’t take in all that the instructor is saying.

But you want to,succeed. You need to get good. Average is just not good enough. The journey is going to be longer than you first believe.

It is now a project. No turning back. This will lead to the insane desire to catch an Atlantic Salmon in a UK river. The lesson venue is 126 miles away. But it so happens a club I am a member of has the rights to fish the river where the lessons take place. This means travel day before and do some Trout fishing next day have two hour lesson and do more Trout fishing having stayed in a country pub hotel and had a nice dinner and a few beers.

Not  tried to sell this plan to my wife yet. But a man has at least the right to dream.

All this happened because Sage did an open day on my favourite Trout reservoir and gave one hour free lessons. I got a cancellation and got addicted to Spey.

Amazing how your life can get sent on a new track totally by luck and being in the right place right time.

I used muscles I have never used before and my left forearm is in a bit of bother today but it’s a nice pain. The pain of gainful endeavour.

What makes me smile,is the description Sage give for this Spey rod of theirs. Not for the occasional Angler. Funny in itself in that all of us are really occasional,Anglers. I was just handed the rod so no preconceptions and that I would not be able to use it as it was for practiced and skilled practitioners only.

Same thing happens when I help guys with long TH surf fly rods. If they have never used one before they don’t give a rats asse that it is 13 foot long.

Too easy to talk ourselves out of doing lots of things not just fishing.

So your job is to get Allen H  into this. I will see Al in Cape Cod June .Just  light the blue touch paper and he will fire off.

We got to  fish one day Graeme.

Mike

13 hours ago, crunch said:

Great Mike! I went first time this year to Spey practice today. Do you know what line you cast?

Esa

Esa

I should have asked. But my focus was trying to,do as I was instructed. If I had concentrated that hard at school may  have had a better career. LOL.

I will find out for you. This Igniter was very very powerful. Never picked up a none competition Spey rod as powerful as this one felt.

But for the fact it was 15 feet long I think it would work in the surf.

UK casters I believe had a large influence in the design. This is not a rod that bends deeply into the lower sections. You don’t have to wait for it to catch up. It does not have a butt section which like some USA rods which is deliberately attenuated power wise. I liked the 14 foot model much more. Much lighter in the hands and just a joy to move around. But as you know horses for courses. Big rivers big flies and high water means big long rods.

mike

16 hours ago, Mike Oliver said:

Drove up north with my close friend Mike for some more Spey casting lessons.

Our instructor is simply world class. Pity his pupils were not.LOL. It was a privalage  to observe his casts. Trying to emulate another matter but very motivational.

Very inspirational day and very humbling. This is way more difficult than I had anticipated.

looks very simple but for me it is not. But the feel and sensation of just a half right cast is just fantastic. I can see why so many guys are hooked on it.

I realised that  for me at any rate the total futility of trying to self teach from videos.

You have utterly  no idea of what you are actually doing compared to what you think you are doing.

So the  facility to groove in an extremely poor cast is there for the taking.

The mantra so often repeated of practice practice and more practice is not helpful unless you have someone who can correct your stroke or footwork or any other aspect of what makes for a decent cast.

We used a 15 foot Sage Igniter.. Very powerful is the only useful comment I can make at this stage. 

If you have never tried spey casting it is well worth giving it a try out.

I am captivated already.

Mike

Welcome to the dark side Mike.  Don't worry though, you'll still use all of those SH rods in the cupboard when you boat fish...but you'll just Snap T to change direction, or Perry Poke to quickly load the rod, rather than doing multiple false casts to accomplish the same result.

Mark

Thanks. Only thing is I don’t boat fish.Me and Boaties we don’t get on. If you were to fish with me in my local, reservoirs you would understand why or some places in Montauk where the boats come and mess with you.

False  casts keep you warm on a cold day. 

Heh I still fish my SH. I have not cast them out. I love all my rods.

I know I have a bit of a problem.

Mike

PS How you getting on with your new rod.

You coming to  the Cape this spring.

Edited by Mike Oliver

14 hours ago, Hirdy said:

Sounds like you're having fun Mike. Enjoy the journey mate.

Cheers,

Graeme

Graeme...I think it was a conversation with you / unrelated to this thread.

A few months ago I had made reference to what I call backwards casting in a thread I cannot currently ID.

I think I said something about my spin crew laughing at me if I were to engage that method. Anyway, I owe you and apology. Ever since I started casting in the dark it has become apparent that a wrong side wind can create lots of issues. Sorry for being a dope.