Pauleye

What to wear? New to kayak fishing.

31 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I bought a paddle, SOT kayak this winter.  I envisioned fishing ponds in July with shorts and a t-shirt (PFD, too, of course).  What do you wear in the colder water months with comfortable air temps (late April, May, September, October) for lakes and ponds on the bottom half (below the waist)?  Are there kayak fishing pants?  I see on videos what looks like stocking foot waders but they are not waders.

Edited by Pauleye
clarification

Tight fitting Waders works with a semi dry top and the home deport back support belt.  You will take on some water from seepage. There has been controversy using this set up but it works for me.  

Like Slappy said the tempest pants are nice with the top. What I don’t see anymore is Kokatats video on how to roll the two ends together.  I just bought this set up used and wondering how it tunnels. ?

A 3mm farmer john wet suit may also work for you with a top.  It’s good to have this set up for mid spring when the water is upper 50’s with warm air and you are not kayak fishing far from shore. Also a good set up when we hit later August -September. 

You can never have enough cloths kayak fishing. 

Edited by The Riddler

34 mins ago, Pauleye said:

I bought a paddle, SOT kayak this winter.  I envisioned fishing ponds in July with shorts and a t-shirt (PFD, too, of course).  What do you wear this time of year for lakes and ponds on the bottom half?  Are there kayak fishing pants?  I see on videos what looks like stocking foot waders but they are not waders.

By June I'm in columbia or similar ripstop fabric pants...fast drying, UPF protection etc. Roll up your pant legs to launch/land, wear sandals/crocs and similar quick-drying footwear and go fish. 

+1 on Columbia pants & Columbia long sleeve shirt. A hat with wide brim and flap to protect back of your head. See a recent thread on face & hand protection

In July my main goal is protection from the sun. Any UPF long pants and long sleeve will do the job. Sometimes with north wind I will use NRS Endurance splash jacket. Do not forget to cover your feet from the sun. You can get bad sun burn in sandals. Sun gloves, Outdoor Research Sun Runner Cap and polarized sun glasses. This is my July outfit.

By this time of year I mean now, cold water but comforatable air temps...late April to early June and September/October

The water is still cool in Ct. this time of the year. All of the above will work well. If your short on coin a 3mm $30 full wetsuit from Ocean state can work. For the price you can even cut it in half if you want to wear just the pants :p I’ve cut the arms and legs only off of old wetsuits and wear them ala cycling  armlets/leggings with splash wear too.

Edited by cheech

I have a Kokatat Hydrus Angler semi-dry suit. If you watch for sales you might be able to snag one for under $500. It's a lot of money but it has a lifetime warranty. It can cover early and late season and it's really not too hot. I usually wear merino wool as a base layer and might add a vest or whatever as needed.

I would do waders+belt in freshwater but my waders are bootfoot and I don't want to stress the seam by pedaling in them. So dry suit it is. 

Once the weather warms up, I have the Columbia pants that convert to shorts and I wear Teva's on my feet. Usually wear a long sleeve UV protective shirt even if it's hot. 

+1 on Kokatat Tempest dry pants paired with some neoprene water/diving boots. Comfortable and functional. 4th year and going strong. Still need a semi-dry top but have been getting away with basic jackets.

3 hours ago, DonWon said:

Gotta wear a colorful man thong a safety vest Incase you get tip over.

I have a bright red NRS Chinook  PFD.  A lime green banana hammock for those “hot” days. 

You can pick up a Splash top and pants from NRS for under $200 ... the splash pants don't have the booties, so I use water socks and water shoes. You can layer clothes under, such as fleece if it is colder, and the splash gear will keep you fairly dry even if you go in. I wouldn't use this in the early Spring or Winter, but from May on it's quite good (April on ponds as that water heats sooner than ocean).

Waders and a splash top with a GOOD belt are also good (some disagree about the safety of waders, but if you have a top that has a draw string AND a good belt you'll keep the water out of the waders if you go over).

Under 60 degree water- Tempest Pants and a splash shirt.  

Over 60 degree water- Columbia or Columbia like quick dry pants and shirt.  Long sleeves are a must.  Can always roll them up to cool down for a bit but sun protection is key.

Tilley Hat is nice especially if you're blad like me.  And they're stylish....