Rigging Fluke Baits.

Rate this topic

Salt and Fresh

Poured some squid baits this winter to rig for Fluke baits. Never rigged with inline circle hooks, question is anyone have success with 5/0 inline circle hooks rigged on the manor? Any other critiques welcomed. 

2751FB3A-3AF0-47DA-A669-5457C22BA448.jpeg

DBBFC658-D00D-4FFC-A3EC-572C03B660FE.jpeg

"Fishing is a Jerk on one end waiting for a Jerk on the other end" Mark Twain

Looks good to me, but I'm certanly no expert. Very cool that you made this.

I'm curious why you chose in-line? Also, the hook looks a tad smallish reative to the bait to me. Big fluke have big mouths. 

I notice a higher hook-up percentage w/ off-set circles & larger circles relative to the size bait, in otherwards, one cannot crowd the hook gap.

Respectfully,

JD

I would change  hook to shiner  version , I use 5/0  ,  for certain applications circle hooks not my choice . I also use a variety of bait holders for everything from cod to tog ! The longer shank on latter hook style permits good point exposure if you use correct size ! Most today use Buck tails , however on occasion I prefer bait with teaser . Depending if u fish offshore or inshore techniques change as do presentations .

Why a circle? What bait were you planning on fishing? I snell two 5/0 j hooks on rigs like that, or a bait holder if fishing gulp. Another option I do is slide an egg sinker on the line in front of the squid and fish like a bucktail.

I was fishing today, for the first time, with 5/0 inline circles and spinner blades for fluke. The bite was very slow, but I don't think the hooks were the problem; the water in Great South Bay is still quite cold, and the boat was fishing a rising tide, and most of the morning was heavily clouded. 

I personally stay away from circle hooks while fluke fishing due to the poor hook up ratio. For this rig I'd go with my standard O'Shaughnessy hook anywhere from 4/0-6/0. I personally use these hooks while fluke fishing and rarely if ever have a fish swallow them. 

Stick a stinger hook (4/0)  and a 12" fluke belly strip on the back of that rig and I'd think about it.:howdy:

IN FAVOR OF COMMERCIAL FISHING AND SURFING THE NORTH SIDE

MAY THE RICH GET RICHER!!

FISH ARE FOOD!!

UA MAU KA EA O KA AINA IKA PONO O HAWAII