jvisconti

$50 2500-series reel for both salt and freshwater?

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

So, as the title says, I'm looking for an all-water reel in the 2500 range for approximately $50. I'm building a cheap(ish) backup rod for trout, small LMB, and bluegills but can also fish for snapper blues and whatever else may be biting on the dock/canal. My girlfriend will probably be the primary user but It'll stay in my trunk and get banged around more than my good rods so I'm not looking to spend a ton. I will be spooling it with 10# Powerpro because I have a whole bunch of it and slapping it on a ~6ft Ugly Stik or Shimano Stimula (but listening to recommendations on rods too).

So far I have narrowed down my picks to the following:

- Shimano Sienna FE

- Okuma Ceymar

- Pflueger Trion

I know all three get pretty favorable reviews. Is this just a case of "pick one and go" or are there any stand outs in this range?

I know I'm probably overthinking this but overthinking about gear is like 50% of fishing lmao. Thanks for the help!

I bought a small sienna,  the reel worked flawlessly,  but the "turn"  on the shaft was to close to the real seat and made my finger hurt , just a random pic I found on the web

20190506_185321.jpg.3325b6740aa928ec0e0a88cefaac66ed.jpg

The older Shimano Sienna and Sedona were very durable reels in both fresh and saltwater. I have been  away from the more current shimano products lately.  Currently, I would look at the Penn Fierce 2 which is 59.00 list it comes in 2k and 3k size not the in between 2500. Not sure if you can live with that but this is a very sturdy reel for the money and in this price range probably one of the better reels out there.

Both that Daiwa and the Penn look good. I might swing by a sporting goods store tonight and see how that Sienna feels because I have big hands and sometimes they get in the way of small spinners. 

The Penn should feel a bit more solid as it has a handle that threads into the main gear. This is the superior connection for these two parts in any spinner. Most if not all of the low end spinners do not mate the handle and gear like this. To me this is a key feature and why I got away from lower end Shimano's.

I have the Ceymar.  Actually, I have an assortment of $50 reels...Okuma Avenger, Okuma Ceymar and Penn Fierce 2.  Had them all for a minimum of 3 years and with an annual breakdown and lube, they are still good as new.  I have no complaints about any of the three but the ceymar is built like a tank.  

21 hours ago, jvisconti said:

So, as the title says, I'm looking for an all-water reel in the 2500 range for approximately $50. I'm building a cheap(ish) backup rod for trout, small LMB, and bluegills but can also fish for snapper blues and whatever else may be biting on the dock/canal. My girlfriend will probably be the primary user but It'll stay in my trunk and get banged around more than my good rods so I'm not looking to spend a ton. I will be spooling it with 10# Powerpro because I have a whole bunch of it and slapping it on a ~6ft Ugly Stik or Shimano Stimula (but listening to recommendations on rods too).

So far I have narrowed down my picks to the following:

- Shimano Sienna FE

- Okuma Ceymar

- Pflueger Trion

I know all three get pretty favorable reviews. Is this just a case of "pick one and go" or are there any stand outs in this range?

I know I'm probably overthinking this but overthinking about gear is like 50% of fishing lmao. Thanks for the help!

Daiwa's Revros is a fantastic option, as is the Shimano Nexave. Both are $49.99. 

I'm on the "Don't fish an Ugly Stik if you have any idea what you're doing" camp personally. I had one growing up and caught a ton of fish on it. Now that I know the difference, a graphite rod is 100% the way to go. They are more sensitive and have a far better taper (action) for setting the hook. Ugly's are as durable as they come, but they are the least sensitive rods out there, and they are extremely whippy, which eliminates hook-setting ability.

For $50 and under, look at a Shimano Sellus, Berkeley Lighting Rod, or a Quantum QX36 Rod. They're all better options than an Ugly Stik, IMO.

I have extensive experience with the Stimula rod from Shimano. Not a bad rod for $30, but I'd put an extra $10-$20 into a far better rod.

3 mins ago, TopwaterPete said:

Daiwa's Revros is a fantastic option, as is the Shimano Nexave. Both are $49.99. 

I'm on the "Don't fish an Ugly Stik if you have any idea what you're doing" camp personally. I had one growing up and caught a ton of fish on it. Now that I know the difference, a graphite rod is 100% the way to go. They are more sensitive and have a far better taper (action) for setting the hook. Ugly's are as durable as they come, but they are the least sensitive rods out there, and they are extremely whippy, which eliminates hook-setting ability.

For $50 and under, look at a Shimano Sellus, Berkeley Lighting Rod, or a Quantum QX36 Rod. They're all better options than an Ugly Stik, IMO.

I have extensive experience with the Stimula rod from Shimano. Not a bad rod for $30, but I'd put an extra $10-$20 into a far better rod.

I had the Ugly Stik sitting in my garage collecting cobwebs so I figured I'd put it to use but I completely forgot about the Berkley rods, mainly the Lightning and Cherrywood rods, which I heard great things about. Going to continue shopping around but I think I'll end up with a Berkley rod.

Okuma ceymar is a great reel. Superb line lay and profile.

over here in Europe they are supplied with a spare aluminium spool which is a great bonus.

i’d probably go for the ‘30’ size.