zakmio

BOSTON HARBOR FISHING REPORT - 2019

Rate this topic

290 posts in this topic

On 6/6/2019 at 4:32 AM, The Graveyard Shift said:

This kid (6 Y.O.) was out yesterday. He actually fished for about one hour and that was it for him. Everyone around him was catching flounder and he was running amok, playing with the worm boxes (the expensive worms were all over the place) and getting into everything. 

His father wanted me to not count him (I charge extra for over 4 people) in the charge as "he would take care of him and I wouldn't even know he was there". HA!

060719hayden.JPG

"By contrast", I had two kids out for this afternoons trip (brothers 5 and 8) who fished all day like champs. Their father still could not do much fishing as it was a full time job baiting hooks and de hooking flounder, stripers and skates, getting out tangles, etc. I told his father before the trip that I sure as hell wouldn't do it!

Victor and Gus are out again tomorrow morning and I'll get some pictures...

JC

Posted (edited) · Report post

22 hours ago, jason colby said:

"By contrast", I had two kids out for this afternoons trip (brothers 5 and 8) who fished all day like champs. Their father still could not do much fishing as it was a full time job baiting hooks and de hooking flounder, stripers and skates, getting out tangles, etc. I told his father before the trip that I sure as hell wouldn't do it!

Victor and Gus are out again tomorrow morning and I'll get some pictures...

JC

In the 1st pic that is Victor on the left /father/ then Gus yesterday afternoon. 

Second pic is Gus from this morning with a 9 pound tog weighed in at Hull B+T.

Again these kids fished the whole trip with little to no "issues". Amazing!

060819gusandvictor.PNG

060919gustog.JPG

Edited by jason colby

Any blues in the habah or Q Bay yet? Back when i fished the area far more than now, fathers day was always considered the start of blues there.

Tried sightcasting to a cocktail blue last week in the harbor from shore, that has been the only one I've seen so far. I typically fish nights so don't see much in the water but I haven't caught a blue yet. Agree with ccb about schoolies, been finding them pretty consistently. Mostly 18-25in though for me, haven't caught a keeper in a month.

On 6/3/2019 at 4:36 PM, jason colby said:

I just sent this out:

Dear Dr. David Pierce,

Please tell me why "it appears" that recreational angling interests mean little to nothing to the state fishery managers? There "was" a very viable flounder fishery in Boston Harbor until the cod got wiped out by the draggers and the fishery managers steered the commercial fleet in the direction of the flounder with increased limits and "flexible quotas". Now the recreational sector is suffering for it and I would like to hear your thoughts on the matter.
Note that I would like to post your reply on the website: SOL.

Thank you!

Captain Jason Colby
Little Sister Charters

Dr. David Pierce, DMF Director did not respond to this email. As a follow up to our last meeting, a week ago (06/21/19) I requested another meeting for 07/08 and I followed up that (ignored) email with 8 phone calls to David Pierce and to his assistant, Shannon Davis. I left many messages and am utterly frustrated. Being in a "pissed off state" (I've had at least a dozen charters from NY and NJ cancel this spring due to "explosive diarrhea", a condition that occurs most often when someone wants an excuse to not be "somewhere" . Manifestations of "Explosive Diarrhea"  can be: "death in the family", "had to take the kid to the emergency room", "I need emergency surgery", "I must leave the country/planet immediately" , etc.), I find myself with unexpected time on my hands today so I wrote the following:

Dear Doctor Pierce,

Over the past week I have tried to contact you numerous times about meeting with you to discuss the ongoing and worsening situation we have with winter flounder and what can be done about it. I tried Shannon Davis, you and Jared Silva, all to avail.
I'm getting the feeling that you are avoiding me, perhaps because last year you admitted there was an issue and you promised to "do something about it". Here we are a year later and the situation has gotten much worse (and nothing has been done to help).
2019 Boston Harbor flounder numbers are down 95% from what we had just 6 years ago when the state and federal authorities started cranking up the commercial flounder quotas, without any justification other than to give the draggers "something to work on" (AKA: "DECIMATE"). After all, they already killed just about everything else and what they did not wipe out, the fishery managers are trying other avenues to destroy like striped bass for example. (But that is a whole other topic and discussion of "injustice and incompetence").
I have spoken to several Environmental Police Officers and they tell me they hardly see anyone flounder fishing any more and of the "several hundred boats" we had fishing for flounder recreationally six years ago there are less than a 1/2 dozen who even bother to try these past few years.  What is that costing the local tackle shops and the state in lost revenue? Why do we have to buy a saltwater license?
So, to spell this out for you to see in print very plainly:
1. There is virtually no recreational pressure (exponentially less each of the past 6 years as the fishing declined).
2. When there was "more and more" recreational pressure the fishing was actually getting better every year.
3. "Climate Change" is NOT a factor because I have seen the same 90% or more loss of both black sea bass and blackfish over the same 6 year time-frame. If the water was becoming too warm for winter flounder then it would be more favorable for the other two species. The bottom line is that the draggers are wiping up all three species at the same time (and many others, including cod which they should not be killing at all) as they migrate together/close enough to each other into the harbors and estuaries in the spring.
4. This is a simple case of "cause and effect".  The cause of intensified dragging (and gill netting) effort over the past 6 years is producing the effect of little to no flounder available to recreational anglers in Boston Harbor and the surrounding harbors.
If you will not meet with me to discuss this then answer this email and this question:
"What will you do about the situation that you admit exists?"
If I had your job I would think that the responsible thing to do would be to shut down all nets in state waters from Cape Cod Bay north "immediately and indefinitely". Does it make any sense to you that these draggers are pounding the last viable inshore population of this species left on the planet?

Lastly, after seeing what I've seen in "rapid decline of winter flounder" the past few years I can't help but now believe that inshore dragging is at least 85%-90% responsible for the near total loss of winter flounder in virtually all areas south of The Cape. Predation, pollution, climate change, recreational fishing pressure, etc. can add up to the other 10%-15% but mobile nets are just too efficient and there are far too many of them. In realty, all nets should be removed from inshore waters but that is a different topic again....

Yours,

Captain Jason Colby
Little Sister Charters