zakmio

BOSTON HARBOR FISHING REPORT - 2019

Rate this topic

69 posts in this topic

34 mins ago, The Riddler said:

Nice fish Alpha.  40” class showed up last Wed in the Harbor... then there has been, “ but but the canal hasn’t turned on yet” or even better “ on the water says there are no bigger fish around”...

Shhhhhh don't tell anyone. We'll keep it our little secret haha. Thanks 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Flounder fishing in Boston Harbor is "way off" this year. Limit catches, which by now should be a daily occurrence are only seen about 75% of the trips and the fish are a smaller average than any of the past 17 years. I've been seeing "net rash" on close to 30% of the fish we have been getting which tells the story very plainly:

We are getting what the draggers are leaving us.... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was just asking a guy about the flounder situation this morning. Ten years ago, I had spots where you could limit out on foot in an hour and a half, with 14-16" fish. Now you can skunk pretty regularly, from shore or a boat. It's a drastic decline.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's sad with the flounder. I feel bad for the guides out there, can't fish for Cod around Metro Boston, Haddock is far out, problems with flounder, and now we will see what happens with bass next year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just sent this out:

 

Dear Dr. David Pierce,
 
Please tell me why "it appears" that recreational angling interests mean little to nothing to the state fishery managers? There "was" a very viable flounder fishery in Boston Harbor until the cod got wiped out by the draggers and the fishery managers steered the commercial fleet in the direction of the flounder with increased limits and "flexible quotas". Now the recreational sector is suffering for it and I would like to hear your thoughts on the matter.
Note that I would like to post your reply on the website: SOL.
 
Thank you!
 
Captain Jason Colby
Little Sister Charters

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jason colby said:

I just sent this out:

 

Dear Dr. David Pierce,
 
Please tell me why "it appears" that recreational angling interests mean little to nothing to the state fishery managers? There "was" a very viable flounder fishery in Boston Harbor until the cod got wiped out by the draggers and the fishery managers steered the commercial fleet in the direction of the flounder with increased limits and "flexible quotas". Now the recreational sector is suffering for it and I would like to hear your thoughts on the matter.
Note that I would like to post your reply on the website: SOL.
 
Thank you!
 
Captain Jason Colby
Little Sister Charters

It's amazing how these bureaucrats stick it in the eye of the recreational anglers and charter captains. Commercial draggers don't add a tiny fraction to the state economy compared to us. Not even close

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, shoot2drill said:

What is the address you sent it to? I would love to ask him the same question.

david.pierce@state.ma.us

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/3/2019 at 7:30 AM, jason colby said:

Flounder fishing in Boston Harbor is "way off" this year. Limit catches, which by now should be a daily occurrence are only seen about 75% of the trips and the fish are a smaller average than any of the past 17 years. I've been seeing "net rash" on close to 30% of the fish we have been getting which tells the story very plainly:

We are getting what the draggers are leaving us.... 

This dragger situation is utter BS.  I worry my little kids will not ever get a shot at flounder because they will be gone.  FYI how old do you recommend for a trip on the little sister for flounder?  My son is 4, but the attention span is just not quite there yet so thinking next summer for his first trip.  Would rather go on a big boat compared to my dingy.  Just the boat alone will make it a cool trip for the little man.  Plus honestly I have just not put the effort in to be consistent on flounder so would rather take him out with someone who really knows what they are doing.  I can keep him happy for blue gill, LMB, and stripers.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, The Graveyard Shift said:

This dragger situation is utter BS.  I worry my little kids will not ever get a shot at flounder because they will be gone.  FYI how old do you recommend for a trip on the little sister for flounder?  My son is 4, but the attention span is just not quite there yet so thinking next summer for his first trip.  Would rather go on a big boat compared to my dingy.  Just the boat alone will make it a cool trip for the little man.  Plus honestly I have just not put the effort in to be consistent on flounder so would rather take him out with someone who really knows what they are doing.  I can keep him happy for blue gill, LMB, and stripers.  

Thank you Graveyard!

4 is quite "too young" and 6 is the bare minimum if their attention span is great when it comes to fishing. I see even "avid fishing kids" not really start hitting their stride until 8-10 years old but all people (kids are people too) are different.

Best wishes.

 

Jason

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 mins ago, jason colby said:

Thank you Graveyard!

4 is quite "too young" and 6 is the bare minimum if their attention span is great when it comes to fishing. I see even "avid fishing kids" not really start hitting their stride until 8-10 years old but all people (kids are people too) are different.

Best wishes.

 

Jason

Jason

 

Thanks that confirms my suspicions.  Right now I only take him to spots I know will produce something quickly and keep whole trip to under 30 minutes of fishing.  We then hike or net frogs or do something else.

 

He can cast and hook his own fish using bobber and gulp bait on circle hooks.

 

This spring he made me take him four times until he caught his first trout on his own.  very short trips though he asked about boat fishing.  figured best to ask someone before booking.

 

Will look forward to spring trips with you and Jack 2021!!BB313167-4A0B-4FFB-A0AF-A410E06532A8.jpeg.111577e1dcdfffdaa8a16b50e1949bc9.jpeg

 

7EDE35D8-5C51-4D4B-8C9D-3E5C277BEA69.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, The Graveyard Shift said:

Jason

 

Thanks that confirms my suspicions.  Right now I only take him to spots I know will produce something quickly and keep whole trip to under 30 minutes of fishing.  We then hike or net frogs or do something else.

 

He can cast and hook his own fish using bobber and gulp bait on circle hooks.

 

This spring he made me take him four times until he caught his first trout on his own.  very short trips though he asked about boat fishing.  figured best to ask someone before booking.

 

Will look forward to spring trips with you and Jack 2021!!BB313167-4A0B-4FFB-A0AF-A410E06532A8.jpeg.111577e1dcdfffdaa8a16b50e1949bc9.jpeg

 

7EDE35D8-5C51-4D4B-8C9D-3E5C277BEA69.jpeg

You are lucky!

My daughter only wanted to do her nails when I took her fishing. I see with many fathers and sons that it creates a lasting bond that is very positive on the kids future. My friend Frank's kid (now 20 in college) just left for Alaska to work as a fishing guide for the summer.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, jason colby said:
3 hours ago, jason colby said:

You are lucky!

My daughter only wanted to do her nails when I took her fishing. I see with many fathers and sons that it creates a lasting bond that is very positive on the kids future. My friend Frank's kid (now 20 in college) just left for Alaska to work as a fishing guide for the summer.....

My daughter is asking to go because she wants to do whatever her brother does.  She is only 2 so will let her reel in a sunfish or two this year.  Maybe I will get lucky twice maybe not.  A very happy dad no matter how it works out in the end for both kids.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've taken my kids floundering and it was a great way to teach them to fish.  Unfortunately with the flounder more difficult to catch, it makes too much downtime and they lose interest.

 

need a solid bite that fits in a short fishing window.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.