zakmio

BOSTON HARBOR FISHING REPORT - 2019

Rate this topic

290 posts in this topic

It was a challenging year.  Looked routine up till the end of July.  The night time jigging got hard after that inshore.  Boat guys did well with live pogies away from shore but for this angler not much fun in that. 

The waters out front will be a dirty for another week.  Nahant Bay will clean up faster.  Maybe a push in there for Columbus Day weekend?  Could happen right up to Redrock and Lynn Beach.  When Martha at Surfland said she had the push from Maine, its solid info.  That body hopefully stops in and some lucky anglers get in on it for the weekend. 

I wouldn't wait for surface feeds to wet a line.  While there have been some amazing, multiple-day feeds during past fall runs, I've caught fish with no visible signs of activity.  Those seagulls are too lazy eating Kelley's french fries to bother diving for bait bass are pushing to the surface. 

17 hours ago, Captain Tuttle said:

I wouldn't wait for surface feeds to wet a line.  While there have been some amazing, multiple-day feeds during past fall runs, I've caught fish with no visible signs of activity.  Those seagulls are too lazy eating Kelley's french fries to bother diving for bait bass are pushing to the surface. 

Last year I was catching tons of schoolies in the harbor with no birds and the water looked like chocolate milk.......It really built up my confidence in that if the fish are they they will probably eat something.

Fished Sunday afternoon during the outgoing. Beautiful October day on on the water. No birds or surface activity of any kind. Managed a handful of small schoolies on jigs over structure, and was bitten off by a decent sized bluefish. 

This is my second post after being a long time lurker. This season as a whole has been very inconsistent.  I have managed to land a bunch of small to micro schoolies, I think one keeper (not sure as I am 100% C&R)and nothing of significant size.  My idea of significant is 36" and up.  I spent time in Nahant, Revere, Lynn, Boston, and Quincy different times of day/stages etc. I am not a 20+ year hardened fisherman, and I can not get out 50 days a year but any chance I get I am out there.  I am going to give it one more go for the season either this weekend or next but not sure where yet.  Probably head to Quincy, hopefully I can end the year with a bang rather than a thud.

Edited by Pierogi Smash
corrected

Fished the harbor for a few hours in the chocolate water and managed this dink......Saw a massive blitz but it was waaaaaay to far to hit so I fished a small white paddle tail and had a few follows then this guy, Hopefully the wind will die down and we can get another window of decent fishing.......John 

1A136A8E-B7B6-48FE-AE80-13F2CF00EC2E.jpeg

On 10/17/2019 at 0:00 PM, Pierogi Smash said:

This is my second post after being a long time lurker. This season as a whole has been very inconsistent.  I have managed to land a bunch of small to micro schoolies, I think one keeper (not sure as I am 100% C&R)and nothing of significant size.  My idea of significant is 36" and up.  I spent time in Nahant, Revere, Lynn, Boston, and Quincy different times of day/stages etc. I am not a 20+ year hardened fisherman, and I can not get out 50 days a year but any chance I get I am out there.  I am going to give it one more go for the season either this weekend or next but not sure where yet.  Probably head to Quincy, hopefully I can end the year with a bang rather than a thud.

I've been to nut island quite a few times in the end of sept. Every time I go I never see anyone catching stripers not even a schoolie.

On 10/18/2019 at 7:53 PM, Two Rock said:

Way to go I remember when there was a real fall run that lasted till almost thanksgiving! 

how long has it been since bass stayed around that late?

I saw a nice inner harbor surface feeding, over a large area, from my  office this afternoon. Lots of fish, the dark bait balls cuaght my eye and when i zoomed in with my phone i saw lots of good splashes. Was almost torture 

I fished a few hours today at high slack and on the outgoing and I can say there were massive clouds of small peanut bunker EVEYWHERE, I’ve been up here in Boston fishing all week and been able to pick off about 7 bass so far but nothing sizable..... hopefully that bait is a catalyst for any bass on the migration to put the feed on, The fish won’t touch the smack it jr which is usually my golden ticket but I’ve caught them on the small size SP, the jumpin minnow, Albie snax weightless and a 4” pearl al gags whip it fish 1/2 oz jighead.......I’ve also seen some huge blitzes way out. So at least for the time being we still have a healthy amount of bass in the Habah.....John

On 10/20/2019 at 11:28 AM, evan1 said:

how long has it been since bass stayed around that late?

From 1999-2006 that I remember. Plenty times on the Danvers and Pines River in Revere had 30" class right through late October. Rare would be November. 

Edited by The Riddler

Ran into tons of what I thought were schoolies but it was Mack’s slaying all the peanuts that seem to have just appeared......Mind you I was catching the Mack’s in about 3 feet of water on a 28 gram shimano coltsniper jig not 3 feet from the rocks in the HABAH......Livelined one but nada........John

78D94CEC-11E5-4309-865D-C3597F02E2CC.png