zakmio

BOSTON HARBOR FISHING REPORT - 2019

Rate this topic

290 posts in this topic

On 9/19/2019 at 3:58 PM, greenmachine96 said:

anyone getting into anything from shore?

No luck from shore in Quincy over the last week.  I saw some Blues breaking but too far for me to reach.  

On 9/19/2019 at 3:58 PM, greenmachine96 said:

anyone getting into anything from shore?

New moon I found one fish 30-32" and a bunch of big schoolies.  Have not fished since then due to work and family obligation.

Fished an hour before high tide in Quincy and saw some fish breaking the surface.  I threw a tiny hogy paddletail, small white bucktail, and a small deadly dick at em without a hit.  When it got dark I threw a hogy sandeel out and got a hit.  No luck though and the mosquitos started feasting.  Back at it again this weekend.  

Finally got my go-to setup fixed and got back out. Got skunked at a spot with lots of good looking water and tide + wind conditions that proved productive for me in the spring..will keep at it. Threw mostly bigger stuff the entire time, got no bites, no bites on smaller offerings either when I just wanted to put a bend in the rod. Beautiful night nonetheless 

Launched at 7pm last night in the kayak.  Water 65 degrees, acres of Peanuts and Silversides and not a bass to be seen. This has been common in my area for the night time shift since August 7.  Day time folks trolling baits or tubes have been finding some bass.  

When resident bass get pulled out of the rocks heading south, eating pogies in North and South Channel, or leaving with the Motherload of Squid it gets hard.  Though the 90's and mid 2000's there was enough bass to fill the void. For whatever reason the bass fishing is just not long anymore up in Boston. Hopefully we get some-type of Push in the next few days where all anglers get satisfied. 

Very disappointing for me through  most of August, September and up till yesterday.  Up to that point I was having a good season with some decent steady Bass from when they first arrived till late July, then with the arrival of Pogies, the night fishing for me became very hard, and spotty with no targets. I know other people who did well live lining Pogies in the mornings and afternoons out in the outer harbor but for this night time rubber slinger its just not my game. 

First year I seen this happen.  May have to travel more or fish harder when they come and fish others species when slow times come.  If it wasn't for the Albies I would be screwed. 

See what happens in October locally and enjoy the last of the Albies till the end  and then its right into MA and CT hold over bass mode till the spring.

Edited by The Riddler

3 hours ago, The Riddler said:

Very disappointing for me through  most of August, September and up till yesterday.  Up to that point I was having a good season with some decent steady Bass from when they first arrived till late July, then with the arrival of Pogies, the night fishing for me became very hard, and spotty with no targets. I know other people who did well live lining Pogies in the mornings and afternoons out in the outer harbor but for this night time rubber slinger its just not my game. 

First year I seen this happen.  May have to travel more or fish harder when they come and fish others species when slow times come.  If it wasn't for the Albies I would be screwed. 

See what happens in October locally and enjoy the last of the Albies till the end  and then its right into MA and CT hold over bass mode till the spring.

Riddler similar observations the eel and crab bites never materialized any quality fish all summer fishing from shore.  Only time I got into decent fish was when I found bass on pogies in an estuary in fly range.  

I put a lot of hours in this year more than any other season.  My results are poor.  Definitely going to have to adapt because the bass are doing things differently.  There have been some random pushes of big fish lately.  My friend got a gorgeous fish, but I stayed home that night.  Going to keep grinding away through October and see if I can find something.

A lot of us believe bass will layup especially at night.  They could eat or they can rest and you would get reaction bites.  That rarely existed in my home waters.  It could have happened anywhere off North and South Channels....but thats impossible for a shore guy or too far and risky too kayak. I am sure a boater found the them floating out there and cleaned up this year at night.  Might have been acres out there on the mudflats in front of The Graves or Triangle. 

There is another theory that points to the Squid. When the Squid started to pull out around August it took the Bass with. 

I am sure its a little of everything including numbers of Bass or they are somewhere else.  

Edited by The Riddler

Many fewer resident bass this year too.  When you found the schools of fish, fishing was great, but you couldn't just go and pound the structure and find good fish grubbing around, there just weren't enough bass inshore for that.

That's carrying over to the fall run too, plenty of small fish and only a few legals mixed in.  In years past the fall always had a good mix of sizes, a 24" fish could be followed by a 42" fish on the next cast, haven't seen mixed schools this fall.

On 8/28/2019 at 7:44 PM, The Graveyard Shift said:

Fish have been on baby herring and this fly has been working well on schoolies

What is the catalog you show? I've been looking for RM Flatside, but not found much info.

Plus, what is the black/purple fly you show below? 
thanks

50 mins ago, Shhh....Now said:

What is the catalog you show? I've been looking for RM Flatside, but not found much info.

Plus, what is the black/purple fly you show below? 
thanks

That is the page in Rich Murphy's book where he gives you the fly tying recipe for the RM Flatside.  The book is called Fly Fishing for Striped Bass and it has a ton of good fly patterns and other information in it.  Its definitely worth purchasing.

The black and purple fly is a prototype fly I made myself.  I use a titanium wire extension off a Owner 7/0 saltwater jig hook.  The tail is a jumbo slim wiggle tail that clips on to the titanium wire loop so you can change tails out.  The fibers are squimpish hair tied like a bucktail deceiver over a 1/2 mesh spreader at back by hook bend to keep the profile in fast current.  I use the heaviest I-Balls dumbbell eyes and then stack black ep fibers for the head and coat them with black E6500 adhesive to finish fly head.  

Edited by The Graveyard Shift

6 hours ago, The Graveyard Shift said:

is a prototype fly I made myself. 

Pat yourself on the back . . . . with Both hands !!
It's a real beaut !! . . and thanks for the book hint. I'll see if local library can find a copy.

I know very little about... wait.

That's not true.

I know absolutely nothing about tying flies. Bucktails, yes. Flies, no. 

hence forth, I may pin you with an additional alias.. The Graveyard Shift..aka.. Dr. Fly

30 mins ago, Shhh....Now said:

Pat yourself on the back . . . . with Both hands !!
It's a real beaut !! . . and thanks for the book hint. I'll see if local library can find a copy.

I know very little about... wait.

That's not true.

I know absolutely nothing about tying flies. Bucktails, yes. Flies, no. 

hence forth, I may pin you with an additional alias.. The Graveyard Shift..aka.. Dr. Fly

I will post some instructions later this winter when I get back to fly tying a lot.  If you can make a bucktail you could make that fly.  Once you see how the pieces come together its not as intimidating.  

Last year I did really well on numbers of fish (not so much size) in late October around the 12-24th.....I’m gonna be back home in Mass october 14-29th and am hoping to get in on some fall action....my question is how long is it looking like things will go, last year on my final outing I left a bite was fish every cast On the outgoing for a whole week October 19th-24th...my theory is that with how loaded the Maine/new Hampshire fishery was those fish could be trickling down a little later than most years but then again I’m no expert, any insight or predictions would be appreciated(and yes I know it’s ultimately up to the bass gods!), Thanks......John