zakmio

BOSTON HARBOR FISHING REPORT - 2019

Rate this topic

178 posts in this topic

I saw a big patch of dead pogies last year near Grape island. Looked like they were sucked through a commuter boat impeller. 

1 hour ago, TheClasp said:

Just got word from sailors of tons of dead fish and stench in harbor, up by Charles River Locks.   Sounded like Pogies from the size he was describing.   Anyone know what the deal was? 

Last week harbor turned rust orange color and I could not fish my normal spots.   I wonder where that flowed in from, but was thinking the E. Boston harbor construction sites?

Curious if any toxic tide came in, not an expert.    Previous week schoolies jumping like crazy every morning up near the bridge, easy pickings once you found the right lure to temp.

I pass by the locks and constitution marina every day on my way to work. Been seeing some dead pogies on the freshwater side of the locks and the smell passing by the marina was absurd. Were there dead stripers too? I know they closed Nahant due to water safety issues..maybe a similar bacteria is around Charles area. 

Saw a ton of dead pogies near the Boston Harbor Shipyard in East Boston on Friday. We figured they were chased into a cove and died, similar to what went on in the 80’s. Also saw a commercial netter hauling in schools of pogies just off Winthrop. It won’t be long before those schools that are everywhere are gone. 

I thought summer fish kills were usually heat / oxygen related.

Anyways I went fishing tonight. Found some fish from shore but couldn’t get a bite.

Well was hoping August would pick up on quality fish like last year. But from shore this has been my worst August to date.  Will keep grinding as always but I would be happy to break 28" this month let alone anything truly large.  Hope people are finding better success than I am.

Edited by The Graveyard Shift

its been tough for me as well but last night I hit em good! Largest was a 48 inch, 45lb!! Others were a mixed bag of rats, mid-thirty and low forty inch fish! Hopefully things keep going.

5 hours ago, The Rev said:

its been tough for me as well but last night I hit em good! Largest was a 48 inch, 45lb!! Others were a mixed bag of rats, mid-thirty and low forty inch fish! Hopefully things keep going.

Nice thats awesome! From shore?

Will keep the night wading grind going

Edited by The Graveyard Shift

51 mins ago, The Graveyard Shift said:

Nice thats awesome! From shore?

Will keep the night wading grind going

boat,all in 5-9 feet of water...you could get em from shore no problem

The cape cod report thread has been blowing up.  Not much activity on this one though.  Hows everyone been doin out there lately ? 

I have had little luck from shore.  A few 20-30 inchers from some rocks in the harbor. 

I got on to a few the same size from my kayak last week in about 10-20 feet of water.  Fished early morning.