ccb

Anchor rope for a yak?

24 posts in this topic

13 mins ago, The Riddler said:

Some do need an anchor , some don’t need an anchor. There isn’t one way. Right? 

Were we are all the same, fishing the same place for the same species using the same gear with the same physical bodies, we will still make different choices. Me, I'm lazy, and fishing at anchor is often more relaxing if it's an option.

Posted (edited) · Report post

44 mins ago, The Riddler said:

I used one of these.

FD5F1A7E-4ACB-421E-8D1C-3B4DFBD15B75.jpeg

Noice.  

For me, I find using paddles in wind possible only when faced directly against the current.  Couple of strokes, couple of jigs, couple of strokes, couple of jigs, rinse and repeat.  Facing any other direction, Im using too much of my hands on the paddle to keep the yak straight and not enough on the fishing.  At that point, I'm just bottom fishing.  

I use the chute to keep relatively still.  Have an anchor but theres just too much junk down below where I fish. 

Edited by MizikeyofNYC

4 mins ago, MizikeyofNYC said:

Have an anchor but theres just too much junk down below where I fish. 

Which is where that reef anchor thing comes in. I lost a folding grapnel anchor togging in the Harbor 2 years ago. But I haven't had a problem in the Sound. Yet. I do use the zip tie trick, and have had to replace it several times.

46 mins ago, gellfex said:

Which is where that reef anchor thing comes in. I lost a folding grapnel anchor togging in the Harbor 2 years ago. But I haven't had a problem in the Sound. Yet. I do use the zip tie trick, and have had to replace it several times.

You're right, the zip tie trick doesn't work 100% of the time.  Might have to try the reef anchor altho where I fish, I don't think that'll work either.  I mean, I sometimes see car engines during low tide...lol.

12 hours ago, gellfex said:

I think this year I'm going to experiment with figuring out the best material for the classic rebar "reef anchor" scaled for a kayak. Maybe some soft temper 1/4" SS rod so it doesn't make a rusty mess in the gear. It needs to hold a kayak well enough but bend if it's snagged too badly to retrieve.

B5308-2.jpg?1406131250

Try 4 gauge copper ground wire. $1.50 a foot at box store.

On 5/6/2019 at 6:16 PM, gellfex said:

Were we are all the same, fishing the same place for the same species using the same gear with the same physical bodies, we will still make different choices. Me, I'm lazy, and fishing at anchor is often more relaxing if it's an option.

Same, blackfishing without an anchor on a paddle kayak is really difficult, I've done it during slack tide on the calmest of days but rarely get the chance. Sitting on anchor over a honey hole for 5 hours catching 1 after the other without worrying about position is a lot more fun. I only anchor in less than 20ft and have a quick release with a bouy. Current is no problem I just unclip, turn around and paddle up to where I dropped the anchor so I'm not pulling myself sideways against the current.

I use a window counterweight as an anchor and a retractable dog leash for my line.  I only use it in lakes when I found a good spot and the wind is a little stiff.

I just pull the leash/rope back up and the leash/rope winds right back up.  No loose rope to deal with.  

Only 25ft long though.  

Anchoring on a kayak can go bad really quick. I use an anchor for black drum fishing in 3mph currents, without the anchor it would be near impossible to stay in place. This past weekend current was so strong our anchor floats went under from the ripping current. I had 75' of rope and was only in 18 FOW and the large anchor float was under water.  We had to go back for them the next day.

3 mph sounds like too much unless it is an emergency. But you have to look pretty hard for a tidal current that high, only a few spots in the whole NY Harbor Estuary hit that. 

I know some of you have heard me beat this drum before, but the free nav program OpenCPN loaded with free NOAA charts will give you tide height and current speed graphs at various locations for any day you choose.

59dd4f9d13867_chartcap.PNG.88b009f70331da806d8ef04a5fd6f666.PNG