ccb

Anchor rope for a yak?

24 posts in this topic

I use 3/16 braided nylon with a net float near the end.

I always use a knot that will quick release even under pressure.

I would not anchor offshore.  Deadly if there's current and not necessary if it's flat...if there' so much wind that you cant hold a position easily it's probaby not a great day for kayaking anyway.  Just my two cents.

But I use 50 feet of 1/4" line with a float at the end.  Clip line into trolley with carabiner.  I suppose if there was too much tension to release that way I'd just cut the line.  The float means you can come back later and grab it.

Anchoring is very useful for tog and porgy fishing. I've switched to 550 paracord on a reel.  I've never anchored "offshore", but many times in bays or the western Sound, sometimes in 2 mph currents. IMO skill and experience matters. From whitewater I know very well how kayaks handle in currents.

I only use one for tog fishing otherwise it stays in the truck. Like said above anchor goes to a buoy then a quick disconnect to the yak and a knife for safety.  Wind ,tide, waves and wakes can make it dangerous!

An anchor for a kayak could be disasterous in moving waters or even mildly choppy waters.

It would be a "use at your own risk" scenario, but can be done.

I am toying with  the idea of rigging up a small anchor for when I'm river fishing in average current (aka...meandering slow moving waters) so I can stick to an area without having to stop fishing in order to paddle back to where I want to be.

Could also be handy for someone taking photos from on the water....

Posted (edited) · Report post

17 hours ago, ccb said:

What size are you guys using when going offshore a ways  

Approaching 20 years kayak fishing and never anchored.  

Some may want to anchor though.  I would go with line with low stretch and cheap if you have to cut it. 

Edited by The Riddler

15 mins ago, The Riddler said:

Approaching 20 years kayak fishing and never anchored.

But I don't recall you ever posting about fishing for salt species other than stripers. There's a number of members that don't fish for other than stripers, blues or fluke, nothing wrong with that, but they also have no need for anchors.  However you are right about cheap line, 550 paracord is cheap and strong, a $10 anchor is no great loss either.  I don't use a buoy, making that work with a reel and trolley seems like a PITA. If it comes to cutting the line, no tears.  My reel holds 200', not because I expect to fish over 30' but as a worst case safety measure to be able to anchor in deep water in case of injury or paddle failure to not be swept out to sea by the current or wind. I don't take it all the time, but if I'm going to have it, why not give it that capability?

I think this year I'm going to experiment with figuring out the best material for the classic rebar "reef anchor" scaled for a kayak. Maybe some soft temper 1/4" SS rod so it doesn't make a rusty mess in the gear. It needs to hold a kayak well enough but bend if it's snagged too badly to retrieve.

B5308-2.jpg?1406131250

28 mins ago, gellfex said:

But I don't recall you ever posting about fishing for salt species other than stripers. There's a number of members that don't fish for other than stripers, blues or fluke, nothing wrong with that, but they also have no need for anchors.  However you are right about cheap line, 550 paracord is cheap and strong, a $10 anchor is no great loss either.  I don't use a buoy, making that work with a reel and trolley seems like a PITA. If it comes to cutting the line, no tears.  My reel holds 200', not because I expect to fish over 30' but as a worst case safety measure to be able to anchor in deep water in case of injury or paddle failure to not be swept out to sea by the current or wind. I don't take it all the time, but if I'm going to have it, why not give it that capability?

I think this year I'm going to experiment with figuring out the best material for the classic rebar "reef anchor" scaled for a kayak. Maybe some soft temper 1/4" SS rod so it doesn't make a rusty mess in the gear. It needs to hold a kayak well enough but bend if it's snagged too badly to retrieve.

B5308-2.jpg?1406131250

use double roap ,when you can not get anchor out untie one end and you will not loose roap.

Posted (edited) · Report post

58 mins ago, gellfex said:

B5308-2.jpg?1406131250

Ya, all I fish for is Striped Bass out of the kayak. Nothing else to fish for on the East Coast.  

Edited by The Riddler

6 mins ago, The Riddler said:

Ya, all I fish for is Striped Bass out of the kayak. Nothing else to fish for on the East Coast.  

I guess that's supposed to be sarcasm, as in you do. Well, I know for a fact other forums members who don't, it's not a ridiculous idea. I said "I don't recall you ever posting about fishing for salt species other than stripers."

So you do fish for tog, porgy, BSB, the species most powerboats will anchor for? What did you do to hold position before you had a Hobie?

2 mins ago, gellfex said:

What did you do to hold position before you had a Hobie?

I used one of these.

FD5F1A7E-4ACB-421E-8D1C-3B4DFBD15B75.jpeg

10 mins ago, The Riddler said:

I used one of these.

No doubt your technique is tremendous. Most of us find paddling to stay on bottom structure at the same time as we're bottom jigging to be difficult.

7 mins ago, gellfex said:

No doubt your technique is tremendous. Most of us find paddling to stay on bottom structure at the same time as we're bottom jigging to be difficult.

Some do need an anchor , some don’t need an anchor. There isn’t one way. Right?