FredO

Early Season Rumors

Rate this topic

53 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Scott Charlton said:

Please tell me all of you are not having me on...Seriously?  Multiple stripers in the above 20" range before June?  Don't burn a spot, but are you in a river, a mouth, or the surf?  I was thinking about digging a bucket of clams this weekend and through them on the end of a hook.

Cobblestone is killing it. For me, picked up my first one yesterday near low tide 21" on a paddletail. River mouth, from shore between Portland & Kittery. Four others fishing one other fish caught about 16". Been fishing ledges and surf about 4-5 times now. No hits, no follows, no bait showing. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Thanks liveliner! fish are around :) tides are mixed but the most consistent method is low slow. I'm going to venture to some new spots as i've really only focused up river. Hope to see you guys out on the water.7BCCE8CC-90C1-4B0C-AC1E-A41553960921.jpeg.fa698e0bc9eb627f96a7d45a9ce09618.jpeg

ED029528-066C-4628-989C-81E682845325.jpeg

C4417663-9031-4CA4-980E-7ED1B1586D4C.jpeg

296EC1F4-A78B-4BB3-9EC7-84B005AC576A.jpeg

Edited by cobblestone
dumby

Got into some mid- to upper-20” fish in a back channel of the Piscat last night. Had to snap the obligatory first fish of the season photo:

7EB0264D-4FF5-4BB8-98E9-72EB362AA4A4.jpeg.5e731ce1cb5edf2694f6a3e541eb37b9.jpeg

Continued my early season "casting practice" and "get that too much line initial wind knot off the newly respooled reel" session last night off my dock.  Perfect tide and someone had the decency to shut off the wind fan.  Not a thing, but did notice water temps had a huge boost in the sun yesterday, 48 °F on incoming, up from Thursday's incoming temp of 43 °F.  There may be hope for the normal, last week of May "arrival" here...

Nailed it this morning with my fly rod. Southern Maine river. At first, tons of birds but couldn’t get a fish to hit. Saw many gentle rises —which appeared to be commorants. After 45 minutes of switching flies, the fish started to bite. Many Stripers, the largest about 22”.  Very frisky and full of sea lice. Water temps at 50 degrees. After an hour of sheer joy (it’s been a long winter), arms couldn’t take it anymore. Great  start to the season!