KenY

Why not bake lead in oven ???

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Ok, I've read that you can't use an oven used for food to bake powder coated lead jigs.

Why not ???

The lead is coated in powder paint.  There is no or a tiny bit of exposed lead.  How does baking it in an oven contaminate future food ???

Does the lead volitize and linger in the oven ???

I ask this because they don't make a toaster oven big enough for the size jigs I want to paint.  Turning it on its side and I can only bake 2 or 3 at a time.  Setting up a dedicated oven for jigs is not something I want to do.

What say you wise men of SOL ???

I assume that when plastics melt, they will give off some toxic fumes and will contaminate the oven.  Every time you use the oven after that, you're contaminating your food,  I can't say how much and maybe I'm over the top worried, but its how I got my toaster oven for curing powder coated jigs.

My wife has melted plastic cook wear in the toaster oven and we had to buy a new one :)

If ya gotta ask yourself why it’s bad to heat lead and plastic in an oven you use for food , then maybe you should just have it .. Darwinism at its finest 

I can do 5 & 6 oz jigs in my toaster oven, it's a cheapie from Wally world. I take the wire rack that came with it and hang the jigs by the hook, they just miss the bottom.

Lead can cause cancer, paint gives off fumes. Neither one mixes well with dinner. You can get a toaster oven for around $25 and do as ed suggested. Why risk your health or that you your family. 

I picked up 2 different toaster ovens at yard sales. Both have huge openings. I used to use a smaller one, and sat it upside down and hung them from the rack. Wasn't much help for above 4oz. spros though.

By the way, the powder paint curing is the reason you should not do it.

34 mins ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

I tek screwed rack up high and i can do 5 ounce jigs,free on side of road toasted oven.

Yard sale rejects pile

20190509_063540.jpg

20190509_063547.jpg

nice Idea.  RR, did the screw come through the side?

1 hour ago, ccb said:

nice Idea.  RR, did the screw come through the side?

No i used some stainless 3/8" ones i had.I just place jigs in with needlenose pliers and seems to work.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I would not use the household oven I use for food for PC period.

I use the Eastwood Bench Top Powder Coating Oven.  I use it in my garage or outside to keep all potential fumes out of my house.

Edited by fshng2

It's not the lead. Lead melts at 600 some-odd degrees and poses no health hazards unless you're talking physical contact. Not so sure about the powder paint. I've seen it smoke, but only at temps way above what you should be baking it at. Better safe than sorry. I use a dedicated toaster oven.

Lead does produce airborne fumes even at it's low melting temps, they are quite toxic and will precipitate on surrounding surfaces. That's why most of us lead casters do so outdoors.