New Abu-Garcia 6500

Rate this topic

arcadiainc

1 hour ago, arcadiainc said:

I am wanting a new reel. Rather a new 6500. My fishing is done in the Gulf of Mexico, Florida panhandle. Kings, cobia, red and black drum etc. What 6500 should I buy? Thank you-- 

6500C-3,,,,as for bad reviews on the Chinese built ones,my 7000-pro rocket and 7000c3 have been on point,not a single hiccup at all and this is the 4th season of fishing,,plugging only.

smooth as silk too.

HH

An armed man is a citizen,,,an unarmed man is a subject,,,,,,,,

If I was getting a new one it would be a Pro Rocket. It has bearing caps on both sides and you can easily mag it, remove the levelwind. Better bearings if you want.  Made in Sweden. I'm not into the black but it would make a great reel.

10 hours ago, Jcallaham said:

If you must have an abu contact Jerry at Hookless.com. I have seen some pretty bad reviews on the Chinese built abus. ie off the shelf new ones.

The 6500 C3, C4 were never made in asia. But surely for any Ambassadeur Jerry is the place to go.  But go quick, he is phasing out into retirement.  His creations are true quality and some are being marked down in $ right now.  That said, I have found the Daiwa Lexa 300 to be a stellar replacement whose lightness and low profile has done wonders to help my arthritis and cubital tunnel pain.  At least for throwing lures.  For chunk bait to black drum and sharks, Jerry's bait clickers reign supreme.

On 5/6/2019 at 7:25 AM, 0119 said:

The 6500 C3, C4 were never made in asia. But surely for any Ambassadeur Jerry is the place to go.  But go quick, he is phasing out into retirement.  His creations are true quality and some are being marked down in $ right now.  That said, I have found the Daiwa Lexa 300 to be a stellar replacement whose lightness and low profile has done wonders to help my arthritis and cubital tunnel pain.  At least for throwing lures.  For chunk bait to black drum and sharks, Jerry's bait clickers reign supreme.

I have 2 of the Abu Garcia 6500 C3 reels that are over 20 years old each & 2 that are getting ready to be 25 years old this August.  I absolutely love these reels.  Caught everything from Flounder, Bluefish, Rockfish, Black Sea Bass, Tautaug, Weakfish and Mahi-Mahi with them.  Great reels for the money!!$$$

On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 7:34 PM, arcadiainc said:

I am wanting a new reel. Rather a new 6500. My fishing is done in the Gulf of Mexico, Florida panhandle. Kings, cobia, red and black drum etc. What 6500 should I buy? Thank you-- 

have you checked out the big lowpro reels?

lexa 400-hd will do you great.

HH

Roddy,

Some time back I brought in a few of the Omoto Chief 6000 CT reels to be used as a base for developing entry level distance reels. Before long I came across the Omoto RA reels which provided the requirements that I was seeking. More info can be found by doing a google search on R.A. Reformas Magnetics. Unfortunately I did not find any youtube videos in English.

Where we do find use of bait casters without magnetic braking is level wind reels used to catch catfish. We do stock some Chief 6000CS and 7000CS reels in a couple of colors.

arcadiainc,

I am not sure of your fishing conditions. If the GOM for the panhandle of Florida is similar to Texas, you will want a reel with good distance capability, capacity, and a higher gear ratio.   As pointed out by scoobydoo, Omoto made reels for ABU. When ABU was bought out by Pure Fishing the manufacturing was shifted to a company in China. The Chief 6000 CTM is very similar to the Ambassadeur 6500. It comes standard with a 6.3:1 gear ratio, magnetic & centrifugal braking (6 blocks). 

The Omoto Chief Xtreme is the top of the line.

For a 6000 size, the model number is 630CSX

All the standard features of the standard 6000 CTM model

Aluminum cage

Tighter tolerances

Black with Gold trim

Don

On ‎5‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 8:29 PM, CrashHard23 said:

Mine doesn’t come with a mag control as it’s a CT, but there are many aftermarket mags out there for the non mag akios like PMR.

they do come with mag control too CTM.

HH