hipkvw

My Fish of a Life Time. Huge striper.

Rate this topic

179 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, hipkvw said:

If youve ever seen me flyfishing thats generally what Im wearing. Maybe a flannel. I do wear waders in the surf or when its cold but im truly a minimalist when I can be. I dont fish much at night amymore. Did that for years. It dosnt appeal to me as I love seeing everything and taking in the world. At night it was just about the catching. I had to adjust a ton to be successful during the day and I know what I give up by not fishing at night....especially quality. I just kept fishing hard like I always have and it paid off. Im very grateful. Thank you for the kind words. 

Do you have any tangling trouble with the Cabelas S4 running line? Do you know how many grains (or grams) it is rated for? Thank you. 

44 mins ago, Tin Boat said:

Do you have any tangling trouble with the Cabelas S4 running line? Do you know how many grains (or grams) it is rated for? Thank you. 

I have zero issues with it other than it is not long enough. Some days I wish I had another 30’. They are only 90. I think that one is an S6 sinking. I use S4 too. When I mess the lines up they replace them. I do want to invest in some longer lines. Not sure on actual weight. Theirs goes by rod wt and I just match the rod. 

I can't say much that hasn't already been said, just add me to the list of admirers. Your wife did an outstanding job with the camera, I really, really enjoyed the video. 

15 mins ago, ByronPA said:

I can't say much that hasn't already been said, just add me to the list of admirers. Your wife did an outstanding job with the camera, I really, really enjoyed the video. 

Cool man. Thanks. Ill tell her. 

A really beautiful big fat striper caught on the fly! Excellent, and, yes, it, can be done! On a flyrod. I don't know how many fishermen I've encountered while fishing a popular striper beach or, really, many,  beaches where we travel, using a flyrod and they ask, "Do you ever catch anything big on "that thing"? Hate the words, "that thing". 

This SOL member, "hipkvw" has shown all beach fishermen, surf or fly,  that, yes, it can get done with a flyrod,. Kudos to you, hipkvw, for your most excellent landing of a quality flyrod caught striper!  On a beautiful pink/chartreuse weakfish fly to boot! Plus, extra points for your good handling of the fish while your wife made the photo shots and then you released it with a quick "sendaway". You are a flyfisherman that all of us flyfishermen hope to be:) A memory of a lifetime and, so good for you! 

Outstanding fish. I saw your video of it - good playing skills. Especially when it was wallowing in the surf then heading out again. You did well to keep your cool. 

Thank you all for the kind comments. I really appreciate it. While I enjoy social media and sharing all of my adventures, I stood on the beach afterwords and thought in my head that I may not share this one. I didnt want an amazing moment in my life to be ruined by doubters and negative comments. I decided I would look past that if it happen because I was so excited to share my accomplishment with those who could appreciate it for what it was...a big fish on the fly. I have not seen ONE negative comment on her or other social media. Im grateful for that. 

9 mins ago, hipkvw said:

Thank you all for the kind comments. I really appreciate it. While I enjoy social media and sharing all of my adventures, I stood on the beach afterwords and thought in my head that I may not share this one. I didnt want an amazing moment in my life to be ruined by doubters and negative comments. I decided I would look past that if it happen because I was so excited to share my accomplishment with those who could appreciate it for what it was...a big fish on the fly. I have not seen ONE negative comment on her or other social media. Im grateful for that. 

Its hard to say something negative about someone that obviously respects the fishery and understands you don't need a dead fish to prove a point.  I hope others follow your lead.

6 mins ago, jps1010 said:

Its hard to say something negative about someone that obviously respects the fishery and understands you don't need a dead fish to prove a point.  I hope others follow your lead.

I do agree. Much respect for the release. It takes a special dedicated angler not to carry a good fish back to the tackle shop:hooked:.