wasabi_VA

Can I drag a kayak like a Native with integrated rudder?

7 posts in this topic

I’m checking out several Native kayaks and wondering how that integrated rudder will handle be dragged from truck to launch? I use a cart for difficult or abrasive terrain like an uneven trail or a rocky/gravel area, but will drag my kayak if it is just grass. But none of my kayaks have a rudder so curious if any Native owners can tell me how susceptible that rudder is?

I have a Native Slayer, that I just sold and a Liquid Logic manta Ray 12, which is the stripped down version of the Native Manta Ray, I went with the Liquid because I like smaller recessed rod holders,  don't use any rails, and wanted the bright orange color. The rudder is pretty beefy with a large shaft going through what is basically a scupper, rudder can handle it and replace when you wear it out, why not drag it from the rear, and let bow drag, I usually put in stern first anyway. I wouldn't drag it on the rudder. The Manta Ray 12 is pretty light like 68lbs. , at 62 years young, I can put it on my head pretty easy, and walk a pretty good distance, not so the slayer, and have realized 68lbs. is what I consider the most weight I will allow the hull to be, cuts out a lot of options actually.

Check out the Liquid Logic Manta Ray if you are a minimalist, no rail but all the inserts are there , no rod holders, but they are cheap, and I think list price is $200 cheaper, I'm customizing mine this weekend, lowered seat about two inches, Yakattack AR rodholder in the cupholder, and three rod holders and a scotty flag mount behind set......Jack

Can't you just drag it from the back?

My bud has a older Native with the wheel on it and that thing is the real deal. He thinks the wheel kinda works like a skeg when its in the water. He can get from the ramp to his truck in no time.

After dragging mine for over 15 years I wore a hole on the bottom at the very back of kayak.

grabbed one of the kids sand pails and melted it into the hole.. been holding two years now

There was a guy in my neighborhood who would drag his Ocean Kayak up and down the street.  He actually blamed Ocean Kayak when he started taken on water.,

I'm talking about one of those rudders that move, not the molded kind that is just part of the hull. And when I drag my kayak is almost always flat, not lifting one end up and dragging it on the other end.