Florida Surf Angler 13xd

Rate this topic

4 hours ago, FloridaSurfAnglerRods said:

Hey Jim , this is Mark , I have the Florida Surf Angler Rods. I’ll be happy to answer any questions you have about my rods

Hey Mark , how does the rod throw on the higher end of its rating. Is it 5n bait? I know it’s mainly designed for pompano fishing at long distance so baits would tend to be light stuff like sand fleas I imagine. I would be using the rod conventional matched with Newell/ Daiwa saltiest and wondering if the duel rung guides would be a disadvantage at all? Also how does the rod preform if one runs into bigger prey like say a permit or big snook? Does it still have the backbone to do the job?

• 2 weeks later...

I bought one three or four years ago, then bought two more. I use spinners on mine, but imagine a bait caster would do fine. They allow me to throw a baited pompano rig and five ounce sinker in excess of 150 yards. This Summer I might try to see just how far they really will throw. Why they are not shark rods, I have landed some to six feet with them. Caught a huge ray that really tested the rod.  The only complaint I ever had was weed catching on my shock leader knot and failing to pass through the top guide. LOL

Akios Airloop spinning reels

30 lb JBraid

100 lb braid shock leader

5 ounce sinker

Mechanical release

Not sure how it compares to other rods out there, but I’m happy.

On 5/4/2019 at 6:03 PM, Jim McFeeley said:

Looking at one of these for some lighter weight distance fishing 3-5 oz . Just wondering if anyone owns or has cast one and what do you think  about the rod. Pretty sure they are only available from one place in Fl. 

I have one for sale in the bst if your interested,