silverhawk1

Best sinking line for 10wt.

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

It has been awhile since I bought a sinking line and I am unsure what is out there , I am looking for a 425 gr line for fishing cold weather from a boat.What would everyone recommend? thanks

I never did fish 10 weight rods that often, my go to rod for over 20 years years was my 9 wt and over that 20 years I used the same line so when I picked up my 10 weight I just felt it was a simple choice to stay with the same line built for a 10 weight, never had any regrets with that decision.

Good to seek suggestions but I always go with my own instincts first.

BFD: as I intend to reactivate a 10'10wt rod that I have and haven't fished with for a number of years  (I used it in the past only for Atlantic salmon early in the season, i.e. high water and big flies) and fish it for stripers with an intermediate line (probably an intermediate  Airflo Cold Saltwater Striper that I know you're partial to), I'm curious about the sinking line you're referring to in your post.

Rio intouch 30’ sink tip 400g is what I use on my 10wt.. It’s a great line sinks fast and doesn’t tangle to much.

350g to 400g for a 10wt.  If you really know how to throw a sink line you can do 450g and up.

I like the hatch lines for sink lines, then SA soanar sink series 30.

22 hours ago, silverhawk1 said:

It has been awhile since I bought a sinking line and I am unsure what is out there , I am looking for a 425 gr line for fishing cold weather from a boat.What would everyone recommend? thanks

The main point of your question, to me ... is not line type or grain weight ... but the cold water performance thing (lessening the tangle factor). Stipulating that ... I would go with RIO and forget the rest. I use to be a big Airflo fan (for cold water ops) ... but these days I'm more of a RIO guy.

I see you've already purchased a line, thought I would add a comment on sinking lines from a boat.  I recently replaced my airflo 40plus fast sink with the latest airflo ridge striper fast sink. the main difference between the lines is the 40plus has a intermediate running line as opposed to the ridge striper in which the entire length is fast sink.  so the ridge striper tends to lay flat on the or near the bottom, while the old 40plus was more vertical.  I am not saying is better one than the other, just some to think about since they do fish differently.  

I see you already purchased a line, but I’ll still give my 2 cents. I like the Orvise depth charge. I have a 350 grain and a 500 grain. I also like Teeny lines. I have several that I used when I was going after Yellowfins in the Gulf. They are the 600 grain and the 750 grain. The water is very deep and you have to get below the black fins pretty fast.

Teeny lines tend to sinks on an even plane with tip leading the way . I like that feature and use them for a lot of deep water presentations  

1 hour ago, Capt. Lou said:

Teeny lines tend to sinks on an even plane with tip leading the way . I like that feature and use them for a lot of deep water presentations  

:agree:

I use the Rio Outbound 10WT S6/I.  I am very happy with its abilities to throw large flies.  Its sink rate may not be enough for your boat.  6ips works well in the areas I fish on foot at night.  I typically use this in spots 6-12 feet deep.  to get down to 15 feet I add a t-17 6' mini sink head to end of the line.

9 hours ago, The Graveyard Shift said:

I use the Rio Outbound 10WT S6/I.  I am very happy with its abilities to throw large flies.  Its sink rate may not be enough for your boat.  6ips works well in the areas I fish on foot at night.  I typically use this in spots 6-12 feet deep.  to get down to 15 feet I add a t-17 6' mini sink head to end of the line.

Do you connect the end of the sink line to the sink tip via loop to loop? I have a Teeny Basic sink 300 for my eight weight. The head is 20 foot and I could add the  the sink tip, to extend it six foot when needed, but the end of the sink line has a nail knot. Thanks!

4 hours ago, yarddog59 said:

Do you connect the end of the sink line to the sink tip via loop to loop? I have a Teeny Basic sink 300 for my eight weight. The head is 20 foot and I could add the  the sink tip, to extend it six foot when needed, but the end of the sink line has a nail knot. Thanks!

I have a fused loop at end of fly line and  my tips use a braided loop for rear that connects to fly line loop to loop