salt deficient

Newer Minn Kota power draw

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Was thinking of upgrading my 32lb brunswick electric outboard from 1999 to a minn kota 55lb endura C2.  Basic transom mount.

They claim they use less power.  Anybody have any experience?   It's for a 16ft deep V with a 20hp outboard.  However, I may take the 20hp off at times to fish a reservior stuffed with fat walleye thats no gas motors.  I got (2) group 27 batteries.

I would think you have plenty of power for that setup.  Just make sure that the batteries are set up so that only one is being used at a time (12 volt system).  24 volts will ruin that troller.  

Posted (edited) · Report post

The C2 has the 5/3 hand control. Models with variable hand control are better on batteries. 

Edited by aae0130

On 5/5/2019 at 8:14 AM, pioneeratsea said:

I would think you have plenty of power for that setup.  Just make sure that the batteries are set up so that only one is being used at a time (12 volt system).  24 volts will ruin that troller.  

You can set it up to run in Parallel which will give you more run time than using up one then switching to the other. Although 24 volts will cook it instantly !!!!

I have the 55 in a variable speed. I had the C2 before. While I prefer the variable speed, I can say after using the two MinnKota motors for a set up similar to your, I won't buy another MinnKota. The one I have now, the 55 variable, is junk. Vibrates like a cement mixer, right out of the box. MinnKota customer service was of no help.Their answer was try turning the prop around? So I just grin and bear it.

The C2 died after 3 years.

As far as power draw. I can go nearly a whole day, or around 6 hours of hard use on one group27 battery. Two people in boat around 450lbs and gear, and move at around 4mph.fight the wind, etc on those no gas motor lakes.

How much usage will you get on battery for a given day?   I have a 17 ft CC with trolling motor.   I was using it as an anchor.  Decent current.   After a few hours it had drained the battery to about 65% and shut off.   Is this to be expected? 

3 hours ago, notime said:

How much usage will you get on battery for a given day?   I have a 17 ft CC with trolling motor.   I was using it as an anchor.  Decent current.   After a few hours it had drained the battery to about 65% and shut off.   Is this to be expected? 

Is it a 12 or 24 volt?I

4 hours ago, notime said:

You are expecting too much from the technology I think. Figure constant drain of maybe 25 to 50 amps for several hours oh yeah, dead. Dual batts will help alot but you might be relying on it too much.