salvadore33

need insight to expand on my fishing log

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hey fellas

so for years now ive kept a pretty lose fishing log filled with generalized info " location, date, time, tide, bait, species caught and moon cycle" but feel i should be writing down more fine details to accurately keep record of the outings so that the following years show a more distinct pattern. i guess what im asking is what other things should i be considering when logging my entrees? ive been at this for the past 8 years and still feel a bit of a NEWBIE in this regard. any insight would be appreciated.

Lue   

Edited by salvadore33

Keep fishing until you stop learning!

Dont make logging sound like such a chore. I like to put the data in and then I will just diagram some stuff or treat it like a fishing journal. Look at it this way; by writing it down you are helping yourself remember and analyze fine details about a certain outing, but at the end of the day these are just memoirs to look back at some day and pass onto our grandchildren.

Some ideas could be sketching what you think the structure looks like and how to position your cast to get the right sweep, or maybe you tried a new bucktail trailer that you made out of a dirty old sock and caught a 20lb bass... DIAGRAM IT. Have fun and enjoy the process

37 mins ago, DragonsLax48 said:

Keep fishing until you stop learning!

Dont make logging sound like such a chore. I like to put the data in and then I will just diagram some stuff or treat it like a fishing journal. Look at it this way; by writing it down you are helping yourself remember and analyze fine details about a certain outing, but at the end of the day these are just memoirs to look back at some day and pass onto our grandchildren.

Some ideas could be sketching what you think the structure looks like and how to position your cast to get the right sweep, or maybe you tried a new bucktail trailer that you made out of a dirty old sock and caught a 20lb bass... DIAGRAM IT. Have fun and enjoy the process

I agree.  Sometimes I write a story and sometimes just facts.  have fun with it

Do you include wind direction? If it rained or it it was sunny? These can often influence an outing significantly.

I also keep track of anything new I try that works. Or if I observe someone doing something that's working well. 

One outing I was fishing a top water bite when a guy near me was out catching me 3-to-1. We were both throwing the same color popper. During a lull in the action I checked out his lure. He had a custom made siwash on his. I made note of that. Ever since, I always use siwashes on my salter water poppers.

One time I was fishing a sand eel beach at night on a clear, full or nearly full moon night. While throwing a Bomber I got a wind knot. After cutting off the knot, then reattaching a leader, I put on a deadly dick so I could cast out pretty far then reel in the line with some tension to get it better seated on the reel. As I reeled in the lure, at a quick pace, it got more than one hit on the retrieve. For ha-ha-s, I cast like this for about 10 minutes or so. I ended up landing a couple of stripers by reeling in the deadly dick on top, at a quick pace, on a full moon night. New technique found.

Making note of stuff like this files it aways for future use. :)

Edited by zak-striper

I Second the above poster about adding wind speed/direction; for my western sound spots I add the height of the high and low tides and time of previous and next tide.

I have a love/hate relationship with my log, I understand the benefit but sometimes just don't feel like filling it out.

Google docs has helped me there some, With google docs I can do log while I am eating my lunch at work.

hope that adds to the conversation

Barometer -on phones now.

Besides bait in the water-note shells or sheds on the beach.

Beach conditions- flat-deep lip-bowls-points.  

I am new to fishing and I will be making logs from here on out. If you keep a fish to eat how about seeing whats inside his stomach to see what he has been eating?

Unless it is just C&R than of course you wont be able to do that lol. 

The conditions the two days before you fish can mean as much or more than the conditions of the day you actually fish.

If you really want to build reliable patterns, you need to capture that data. For most folks, that is probably more work than they will want to invest.

I don't use fine details at all,just the moon which goes with the tides.

wind I don't use either since that part of the weather.

my showing of this is because the next time the moon and tides come around to being the same the weather most likely will be different.

winds,well even if they are not my fave direction I will still go out anyway.

the important stuff will be in the book,the stuff that changes each hour will not.

HH

Edited by Heavy Hooksetter

I remember when I started surfcasting... keeping a log....wind...tide...moon..... everything. The entries looked like...

Hi tide ....full moon...east wind....No fish caught

Lo tide....full moon...west wind....No fish caught

Drop tide....new moon....east wind....No fish caught

Incoming.....quarter moon....south wind.....No fish caught

No fish caught

A clear pattern emerged.  I stopped keeping a log.

All of this data is available via api. Moon, tide, wind, waves, pressure, etc. Link your log to noaa or weather underground and you'll have everything you need automatically based on location. That's what I do and then use formulas to sum it all up by location and year. 

Logging has helped me a great deal, but I'm probably not willing to do much more than what the OP mentioned in regard to what info I'll always include. I have no doubt barometer and previous weather affects catch rate, but I doubt I'll find the motivation to up my game. I don't have much of a salient point here, beyond: a little logging will help a lot; a thorough log would probably help  much more.

Trying new spots/new times/new tides is probably as important as logging (and gives more info to log). IDK what my success rate would be if I never logged, but I know it's helped me play the odds and generally find at least a fish almost every time out (but I'm usually willing to try a few spots until I find some)