What rod for plugs

Rate this topic

Peterf

I've already asked this question but it escalated very quickly off of subject so I'll try again I I'll be casting magic swimmers and Gibbs poppers from the canal shore with a saragosa 10k with 50 pd braid what's a good rod I wanna stay under 200 

Edited by Peterf

2 hours ago, Peterf said:

I've already asked this question but it escalated very quickly off of subject so I'll try again I I'll be casting magic swimmers and Gibbs poppers from the canal shore with a saragosa 10k with 50 pd braid what's a good rod I wanna stay under 200 

Here are a few options in addition to the Airwave Elite, which is a great rod for the money.

Shimano Speedmaster 11' model SPMS110MH2  - $150

Okuma Cedros 10' model CSX S 1002H    - $170

Star Rods Stellar Lite 11' model SG1740S11   - $150

Tica TC2 11' model UEHA 733502S - $160

St Croix Triumph 10'6  - TSRS106MH2  - $190

That Gosa is a great reel, but as others mentioned is large and heavy for most surf tactics, even the canal. Because of the sheer size of the reel, I'd personally opt for an 11' rod.

I run a Van Staal VR200 and an 11' St Croix Avid in the canal w/o issues.

That sure is a big reel like others have indicated. I would pair it up with the heavier 11 ft airwave elite perhaps. I typically hate big rods like that but that is what I’d be using in the canal along with 50lb braid. If the rod and reel match up well even heavy line like 50 can perform very well.

I believe 40lb is all you need. Especially if you’re throwing regular power pro. 50lb will hurt casting distance significantly depending on what brand braid you use and what you throw which can make a big difference certain days when that extra 10 yards makes all the difference. I wouldn’t suggest any rod under 11’ for that reel as well. The airwave elite would be your best bet.  Just my two cents.  

The Gosa 8k and 10k are the same weight, and I have no qualms with the 8k (on 11’ ODM Gen or TFO 10’6 GIS) beach or canal. 

I think any of the rods mentioned above will be fine. Bring your reel to a B&T, slap it on a few different rods and see what you feel comfortable with. 

I believe 40# is most prevalent braid with a 50# leader. The rip rap is pretty nasty on line/leader, and a fish that goes to the bottom will be rubbing line against all manner of rocks, pots, and millions of lost jigs. 

On 5/3/2019 at 7:07 PM, PlumFishing said:

The Gosa 8k and 10k are the same weight, and I have no qualms with the 8k (on 11’ ODM Gen or TFO 10’6 GIS) beach or canal. 

I think any of the rods mentioned above will be fine. Bring your reel to a B&T, slap it on a few different rods and see what you feel comfortable with. 

I believe 40# is most prevalent braid with a 50# leader. The rip rap is pretty nasty on line/leader, and a fish that goes to the bottom will be rubbing line against all manner of rocks, pots, and millions of lost jigs. 

You made a good point the 8k is almost the same wait as the 10k  I just don't understand why people are saying the 10k is to big and I should go with the 8k I was just at the pro bass shop in foxboro and I sized them up they are just about identical Im pretty shore the 10k holds a little bit more line but that's about it