bentstick

E BIKES

Rate this topic

50 posts in this topic

6 mins ago, Wire For Fire said:

Theres rich queers that rip them up and down the beaches here .. will say as gay as they look and are , they seem to cruise the sand no problem .. the ones I see here have big like sheet metal box in frame .. guessing battery’s ..  but dude was saying they were like north of 4000 of i remember right .. Meh I will walk thanks

Prices seem to be coming down. I'm looking in the 1500 to $2000 price range. I've seen some as low as1200

3 mins ago, bentstick said:

You have anything I should be looking at or staying away from when looking to buy? Who makes the one you have?

Bulls Monster ES.   Test ride before buying. Read up on the battery technology, range and motor positioning.   

18 mins ago, blastwater said:

Beach, snow, sand, mud, uphill.  I rode halfway up Haystack Mtn in Vermont in December.  It’s pedal assist which only entices you to pedal harder and faster. It’s a great workout. I bike a lot on normal road bikes and this kicks my ass.  There is a software upgrade that will disable the 19.9 MPH max assist speed.  

That's awesome! Once I get a house and can hose the bike down I'll get one put rod holders on it and take it to the beach. Not enough beaches here make ORV travel easy.

Posted (edited) · Report post

E bikes are for noodle legged queers to weak to pedal.

Any news on the e Hobie Kayak coming out?

I heard one is in the worx.

Edited by dena

26 mins ago, Wire For Fire said:

Theres rich queers that rip them up and down the beaches here .. will say as gay as they look and are , they seem to cruise the sand no problem .. the ones I see here have big like sheet metal box in frame .. guessing battery’s ..  but dude was saying they were like north of 4000 of i remember right .. Meh I will walk thanks

Parking and getting around these beach towns in the summer can be a bitch. Jump on an Ebike and visit friends a town two over whitout killing yourself. whats not to like?

6 mins ago, dena said:

E bikes are for noodle legged queers to weak to pedal.

Any news on the e Hobie Kayak coming out?

I heard one is in the worx.

Once you get over 60 Noodle legs start to become part of the game... Watch me try to get out of that Hobie after a day on the water and Noodle legs would be an improvement. 

2 mins ago, bentstick said:

Once you get over 60 Noodle legs start to become part of the game... Watch me try to get out of that Hobie after a day on the water and Noodle legs would be an improvement. 

I hear ya.

Even an hour in the truck has me bent over and limping like an 80 yr old.

1 hour ago, blastwater said:

Pedal assist not a true electronic bike that does all the work for you. In NY as long as the assist is limited to 19.9 MPH it’s legal and no need to register or have a license.  

Not sure that this is accurate....   A friend of mine got ticketed last month in Suffolk County, NY for using his e-bike and I got this directly off the NYS DMV site just now...

5ccc60b237c10_ebike-1.jpg.990e612f00665020f8c6f2457f53826f.jpg

It might be up to the local enforcement policy.....  :shrug:

New York DMV | Motorized devices that cannot be registered in New York.html

Yeah, no motorized un-authorized vehicles on the Canal.

I've looked into the fat tire E-bikes for hunting. They make one specifically targeted for it, Quiet Cat. It's pricey, and doesn't seem to have any extras over most plain old Ebikes. 

There's one company that makes E-Bikes in NH I believe. The name escapes me, but they seemed like a good price/performance vs. the China bikes.  

Posted (edited) · Report post

20 mins ago, MattituckMike said:

Not sure that this is accurate....   A friend of mine got ticketed last month in Suffolk County, NY for using his e-bike and I got this directly off the NYS DMV site just now...

It Doesn't seem to be a problem for 8,000 people delivering food on ebikes in Manhattan.

Edited by bentstick

14 mins ago, MattituckMike said:

I don’t doubt that there is some law against ebikes, this is NY.  Pedal assist entails constant pedaling so it looks like a plain bike except for the battery.  In NYC the delivery guys have the full electric ebikes with a throttle, no pedaling necessary and it’s pretty obvious that they are motorized. 

Pedal assist also has a computer in which you can adjust the assist level from turbo through touring, economy or no assist at all which, at this point it becomes a regular albeit heavy bicycle.    Wonder if you could just tell the cop that the assist is off and you are just riding a bike? 

2 hours ago, blastwater said:

Fat tire E-Bike.  Pedal assist not a true electronic bike that does all the work for you. In NY as long as the assist is limited to 19.9 MPH it’s legal and no need to register or have a license.  

3BD2AA37-7795-4C94-A21A-82A91FC23039.jpeg

How does that work on the sand?

9 mins ago, spiegs71 said:

How does that work on the sand?

Super soft/deep sand like at the truck entrance to the beach is tough. Regular beach sand away from the water is easier but you need to gradually turn, abrupt turns don’t work. Air down to 10-12 psi makes things easier but fatties are relatively low PSI to begin with. Downside is coming off the beach onto pavement with a lower than normal psi front tire can cause instability. 

Lower down on the beach near the waterline  where the sand is harder or if you ride across the tidal line of rocks & shells it’s much easier  and no need to air down.  

1 hour ago, blastwater said:

I don’t doubt that there is some law against ebikes, this is NY.  Pedal assist entails constant pedaling so it looks like a plain bike except for the battery.  In NYC the delivery guys have the full electric ebikes with a throttle, no pedaling necessary and it’s pretty obvious that they are motorized. 

Pedal assist also has a computer in which you can adjust the assist level from turbo through touring, economy or no assist at all which, at this point it becomes a regular albeit heavy bicycle.    Wonder if you could just tell the cop that the assist is off and you are just riding a bike? 

It's one of those gray area in NY Just like knife law. Police don't actively enforce it. But when the city or state needs money, you will issue some tickets at random.  The local chinese takeout uses one daily for delivery, but I am sure they have been ticketed a few time over the years.