bentstick

E BIKES

Rate this topic

50 posts in this topic

Electric powered bike I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on one, it seems like a great way to get around town without breaking a hard sweat in the heat of the summer or cruising up and down the CCC. Anybody have any experiance with these or thoughts?

I'm leaning towards Raleigh Sprite iE Step Over

spriteie.webp

4 mins ago, MikeMc said:

They need to be licensed and registered, just like a motorcycle. 

Different regs vary by state. Assuming CCC means Cape Cod Canal (MA), only vehicles over 50cc require license and reg.

Posted (edited) · Report post

21 mins ago, MikeMc said:

They need to be licensed and registered, just like a motorcycle. 

The state of New Jersey does require licensing or registration of electric bicycles.

Mar 18, 2019 - The Legislature has sent Gov. Phil Murphy a measure to allow the operation in New Jersey of so-called e-bikes and e-scooters. S-731 would allow the operation of any bicycle with an assistive motor of 750 watts that can travel no faster than 20 miles per hour without the need for license or registration.

Edited by bentstick

I guess I need to talk to my neighbor Chief of Police and see if they are good with it.

“Most police departments are totally fine with it,” But some have consulted the law, determined the e-bike is akin to a moped and will write the owner a ticket. “You take that ticket to motor vehicle and you try to register your electric bicycle and they‘ll say, ‘This doesn’t qualify as something that needs to be registered,’” Levine continued. “Right now, there just needs to be a concise definition of what this is.”

According to the organization People for Bikes, New Jersey is one of 16 states with laws that either treat electric bicycles as motorcycles or mopeds or whose laws are too confusing to properly classify them. Thirteen states have adopted what the group considers “model legislation,” which creates a special classification for e-bikes and regulates them that way. Other states have done what New Jersey is contemplating and are regulating them as regular bicycles.

Lawmakers in both houses passed the measure with bipartisan and near unanimous support; the Senate gave the bill final passage last Thursday by a 30-1 vote. But e-bikes are not without controversy.

I hadn't really given it a second thought and assumed that they were legal to ride just as a pedal bike. Appears I was wrong.

MASSACHUSETTS’ E-BIKE LAW FOR THE ROAD » In Massachusetts, an e-bike is defined as a “motorized bicycle” as long as its maximum speed is 25mph. As motorized bicycles, e-bikes are not subject to the same rules of the road as regular bicycles. » E-bike riders must carry an operator’s license and are subject to registration requirements. E-bikes are not subject to insurance requirements.

» Helmets are required, and there is a 16 year age minimum for e-bike use. E-bikes are not allowed on sidewalks or bike paths.

Fat tire E-Bike.  Pedal assist not a true electronic bike that does all the work for you. In NY as long as the assist is limited to 19.9 MPH it’s legal and no need to register or have a license.  

3BD2AA37-7795-4C94-A21A-82A91FC23039.jpeg

1 hour ago, bentstick said:

Electric powered bike I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on one, it seems like a great way to get around town without breaking a hard sweat in the heat of the summer or cruising up and down the CCC. Anybody have any experiance with these or thoughts?

I'm leaning towards Raleigh Sprite iE Step Over

spriteie.webp

your not allowed to drive them at CCC

4 mins ago, blastwater said:

Fat tire E-Bike.  Pedal assist not a true electronic bike that does all the work for you. In NY as long as the assist is limited to 19.9 MPH it’s legal and no need to register or have a license.  

you take that thing on the beach?

8 mins ago, blastwater said:

I wonder how they determine (police) that the top speed for a paticular assist pedal bike exceedes 19.9 mph.. the one I'm looking at lists 

Max Assisted Speed 20mph

Posted (edited) · Report post

Theres rich queers that rip them up and down the beaches here .. will say as gay as they look and are , they seem to cruise the sand no problem .. the ones I see here have big like sheet metal box in frame .. guessing battery’s ..  but dude was saying they were like north of 4000 of i remember right .. Meh I will walk thanks

Edited by Wire For Fire

5 mins ago, Reed422 said:

you take that thing on the beach?

Beach, snow, sand, mud, uphill.  I rode halfway up Haystack Mtn in Vermont in December.  It’s pedal assist which only entices you to pedal harder and faster. It’s a great workout. I bike a lot on normal road bikes and this kicks my ass.  There is a software upgrade that will disable the 19.9 MPH max assist speed.  

17 mins ago, blastwater said:

You have anything I should be looking at or staying away from when looking to buy? Who makes the one you have?