Steve_M

Lost in the fog

35 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Last evening there was a kayaker lost in the fog. He was an out of state kayaker fishing in the Barnaget bay launched in  Island Beach State Park. He was found in the dark on the other side of the bay in forked River. That’s a ways away. He was ok when the state police found him. There was a lot of rescue teams out there looking for him. All preventable. I know being lost like that is an awful feeling. Just another lesson to know what to do before you out on big water. 

Edited by Steve_M
For some reason it printed twice

What a great horse ... 

Once you lose sight of some type of landmark, you get disoriented quick. And usually if the fog is heavy, you can't hear anything either. 

I'm surprised anyone kayaking saltwater bays/ocean doesn't have a GPS/Fish Finder combo. For a hundred or two extra dollars it seems like a no brainer. 

Edited by PhilCVG

Some times electronics fail. Some times people panic and forget how to read a compass. Sometimes people are just plain not prepared for their situation.  It is really easy to get lost in a kayak. Throw darkness and fog into the mix and it gets even easier.  I have been temporarily lost in the fog during the day. It can happen to anyone. Some day it may happen to you.  I have a gps on my fish finder, a compass, navionics app on phone and a vhf radio. I also wear glasses.  I really have an unnatural fear of fog. I have been lost in fog while snowboarding out west. I have been driving in white out conditions where I could not see 3 feet in front of me. Fog is very disorienting. Many pilots and boaters get lost in the fog . Look what happen  to JFK junior.  All the electronics in the world can’t help you if you panic and  or get disoriented,

JFK Jr. was a classic case of a pilot being over confident in himself and his airplane.  You don't want to be IFR if you haven't experienced it before at least a couple of times with an experienced pilot sitting next to you.  It seems to me a yaker should only attempt those conditions if he has a partner so a couple of guys can be lost together.  Usually, the more experienced one will know what to do.

Being out in the fog in a Yak can be very disorientating..  Without GPS and a compass, it can be mind blowing.  And even with those items, it can be very dangerous.

I have plotting & tracking capabilities on my electronics.  Cant see launching at night in the back without it.  The sedges at night are featureless especially on a new moon night.  And as dpjpb suggested my electronics failed me.  That night I used the silhouettes of the osprey stands to keep track of my heading and was able to continue to fish.  In the fog you're not even seeing that.   I have apps on my cell phone to guide me in a situation like this fella was in but that experience made me realize while I can use the phone as a backup I need a backup to the backup.  I got a compass incase I find myself in a situation where I cant pull in a signal on the phone.      

31 mins ago, jlapenta said:

Being out in the fog in a Yak can be very disorientating..  Without GPS and a compass, it can be mind blowing.  And even with those items, it can be very dangerous.

It can be mind blowing when everything is working properly and just hearing a power boat in the distance.  You have no idea if they see you, what there heading is nor how close or far away they are.  I find it very unsettling.  Too many people own boats that have no business being on the water. 

2 hours ago, Steve_M said:

Last evening there was a kayaker lost in the fog. He was an out of state kayaker fishing in the Barnaget bay launched in  Island Beach State Park. He was found in the dark on the other side of the bay in forked River. That’s a ways away. He was ok when the state police found him. There was a lot of rescue teams out there looking for him. All preventable. I know being lost like that is an awful feeling. Just another lesson to know what to do before you out on big water. 

If his phone wasn't dead he could of used it to find his way back. About a week ago a friend went out in his boat in the the bay and his MFD said an update was ready hit update and it never finished updating fog rolled into the bay he used his phone to get back home. Don't update your Garmin early in the season before your going out. 

Reading a compass is one of life's basic skills.  Ending up on the wrong side of a bay is embarrassing.  Nice tool that costs less than $20.

Edited by Slacker

1 hour ago, fishless said:

It can be mind blowing when everything is working properly and just hearing a power boat in the distance.  You have no idea if they see you, what there heading is nor how close or far away they are.  I find it very unsettling.  Too many people own boats that have no business being on the water. 

That's what really gets me too ...especially when the boat gets progressively louder. 

3 hours ago, Knight771 said:

It seems to me a yaker should only attempt those conditions if he has a partner so a couple of guys can be lost together.

Uncle Sam wont allow more than 1 taxpayer to be lost at sea at a time :rules:

Fog can also be your friend and cloak your favorite spots so nobody can see what your catching.   Just saying it's not always bad.   

I understand if you're not comfortable in it at certain situations it can really sux too.  Try to be prepared as best you can and be careful.

4 hours ago, PhilCVG said:

What a great horse ... 

Once you lose sight of some type of landmark, you get disoriented quick. And usually if the fog is heavy, you can't hear anything either. 

I'm surprised anyone kayaking saltwater bays/ocean doesn't have a GPS/Fish Finder combo. For a hundred or two extra dollars it seems like a no brainer. 

Or just your phone.