sandflea5

Any more 2WD buggies out there?

14 posts in this topic

Years ago it was very common to see 2 wheel drive vehicles all over the sand beaches. VW buses were probably the most common example, and my uncle had one, a1961 model, which he used mostly in Montauk. But all different types of 2WD vehicles hit the beach. There was a guy back in the 70's named Greg Osinski [sp] , who had a Dodge Polaris with oversized tires who would ride the sand beach from Montauk to Bridgehampton. I had a 1968 Grumman step van 2WD that I used in Montauk in the 70's and 80's that I towed a 16 ft. boat and launched from the beach down by the Oyster Pond. Sure we got stuck once in a while, but we didn't have 50 thousand dollars invested in a beach buggy either. I don't get down the beach much anymore, so I'm wondering if the old school still exists.

Posted (edited) · Report post

You know Hi you may be correct about that in many areas. Never thought about that because back in the day nobody had to tell us where to take a crap. And we weren't  restricted from driving  on the beach because of piping plovers. Nowadays they just make rules to show they can control us. Any one who  knew how to ride the beach with a 2 WD had a lot more experience  than someone who thinks they can drive on the beach simply because their vehicle has 4WD capability . And there was allot of camaraderie among those on the beach so that no one was left stranded if they did get stuck.

Edited by sandflea5
incomplete post

The good old days-what a great era-wish I could go back-life was so much better years ago-like you said no idiots telling us what to do -where were the plovers years ago? these Rhodes Scholars will kill Foxes to protect plovers-any bird that builds a nest where they do was not meant to survive--leave Nature alone-just my aggravated thoughts--rreelman

You could probably get away with it if you had a Toyota/Nissan or something. They never check my truck when I get one for assateague . A guy I fish with drives that beach regularly and never goes into 4 wheel . It’s one of those Ford Explorer pickup type of things. That beach can be nasty too and he claims he never got stuck. .  I would not do it in a heavy truck but something small aired down would probably be fine

4 hours ago, Jim McFeeley said:

You could probably get away with it if you had a Toyota/Nissan or something. They never check my truck when I get one for assateague . A guy I fish with drives that beach regularly and never goes into 4 wheel . It’s one of those Ford Explorer pickup type of things. That beach can be nasty too and he claims he never got stuck. .  I would not do it in a heavy truck but something small aired down would probably be fine

I had eight ply 12.00 16.5 tires on my van.Ran 10 psi front- 12 psi rear. Luckily never popped a bead. 8 and 10 if it ws dry or soft.

I have been going to AI for over 50 years now, and remember 2wd trucks on the beach. Now, they will not permit a 2wd there. When I signed up, the Ranger asks make and model, and peeps at it out of the station window.

My uncle, dad, and I took unk's Karman Ghia on the beach. I was a big, strong 10 or so years old, and was designated pusher when we got bogged down in the soft sand. I think we 3 did it once, not sure how many times I was left out. That car was so light, it could be literally picked up and carried by a couple of guys.

Lots of 2wd pickups with over sized, hot rod type tires were common. I remember a jacked up Ford with a fighting chair mounted in the bed. The guy used to catch huge sharks from the beach, so long the tails would hang over the tail gate, and take them to town(OCMD), and sell the meat to restaurants, or so he told me, the nosey kid that stopped him on his way out.

When my family first went to AI, only what is now the state park was open, The big parking lot was paved, and the big bathhouse/camp store were there You parked, and dragged your gear to where you wanted to camp, and set up your tent, went to the ranger station, paid up, and got a tag to hang. The road to what is not the National Park was there as a path, strewn with chunks of asphalt of an old road, kept open by the few vehicles that could make it. Some time in the early 70s, maybe late 60s, the national park opened up, and the state park expanded to the loop set up for camping like it is now. They have continuously made improvements, and removed old structures etc.Only one or two old, now abandoned  houses left. One old guy lived back there until the early 90s, and by covenant, the NPS had to keep the back road open for him. Once he passed, the road has become unusable, and no longer maintained.

Open that up, and we could circle around the plovers, and hop back on the beach past the exclusion zone....but no, can't do that with the $100+ permit money each driver pays + park entrance fees...

Posted (edited) · Report post

4X4 only no 2WD allowed, I guess it's the Government's way of keeping dune buggies off the beach, Permits required to drive everywhere, Enjoy the beach now, the Commies that keep getting voted into power here in NYS are getting bolder & bolder every year,  I predict within a few years they will ban driving on the beach, Control is what it is all about, Can't have people thinking like free Americans!

Remember this post!

Edited by garrr

2WD still allowed in Hatteras  (CHNS), they recommend 4WD but leave the call to the judgement of the operator 

On 5/10/2019 at 9:05 AM, Capt Buck said:

2WD still allowed in Hatteras  (CHNS), they recommend 4WD but leave the call to the judgement of the operator 

Sounds like freedom to me!

On 5/10/2019 at 7:00 AM, garrr said:

4X4 only no 2WD allowed, I guess it's the Government's way of keeping dune buggies off the beach, Permits required to drive everywhere, Enjoy the beach now, the Commies that keep getting voted into power here in NYS are getting bolder & bolder every year,  I predict within a few years they will ban driving on the beach, Control is what it is all about, Can't have people thinking like free Americans!

Remember this post!

The only true KGB type commie left that interferes with US policy is Putin. And since he now picks Presidents, I’d worry more about offshore drilling, or coal sludge in our rivers, or the sell out of National Parks. Because without a park, cleanrivers for fish to spawn in and clean oceans for fish to live in, You won’t want to drive to the beach.