luckyOC

Delmarva Fishin' Reports - May 2019

Rate this topic

117 posts in this topic

Spent last three days on Assateague throwing plugs/metal and soaking peeler/clam/mullet/fleas. Caught ten stripers (kept one 32" for dinner table) one black drum and a dozen or so blues. Most fish caught in first trough. Drum stomach full of fleas...

IMG_20190514_153224~2.jpg

IMG_20190514_161245.jpg

IMG_20190515_073216.jpg

IMG_20190514_170657.jpg

4 hours ago, John Unkart said:

Spent last three days on Assateague throwing plugs/metal and soaking peeler/clam/mullet/fleas. Caught ten stripers (kept one 32" for dinner table) one black drum and a dozen or so blues. Most fish caught in first trough. Drum stomach full of fleas...

IMG_20190514_153224~2.jpg

IMG_20190514_161245.jpg

IMG_20190515_073216.jpg

IMG_20190514_170657.jpg

Welcome to SOL and nice catch.

Dixiekraut,

Most blues were 16-18" with a couple around 3-4lb. Had a nice striper (probably slot size) take a Hopkins; hook pulled trying to beach. That fish lost was highlight of trip.  Amazing what the eyes capture in a split second. It was like slow motion watching the gaping mouth open, head shake, and seeing lure pull from corner of jaw. Evening sun was glistening off the striper's side, making prominent black lines stand out against shimmering scales, as the fish slowly turned up in the clean water of the building wave right before it broke on beach. Last thing I saw was the top of a big tailfin disappear in the wash. A great mental image of the one that got away burned into memory...

Posted (edited) · Report post

Went out last night, between my son and I we caught about a dozen kings. Well okay, I caught 3. Spent a lot of time fixing a major tangle up of 2 rods. Ain’t Braid wonderful? Didn’t get anything else, worked for it but no deal. Not a touch on the herring or larger sand fleas. Was great though, got a sand flea rake and all I had to say was “I need some sand fleas” and my son would magically appear with a bunch! 

Edited by Drummerbeedude
Forgot the fish!

Congrats on the catch rhumphress !!  AI Saturday to Sunday..Saturday was nice with the east wind. Enough to keep the skeets and flies away. 1 skate at midnight. Moonlight lit up the ocean. Something also cut the line on 2 of my heavers. Re rigged. Casted. Same thing happened 20 minutes later. Clean cuts on the running line before the shock..At a loss for what happened. Sunday morning.. Fog was thick. Packed up. Added detail...Locked my keys in the truck. Phone in the truck. Took out the back window with my sand spike to get in. The choice between calling for a locksmith 10 miles down the beach seemed obvious. The window was cheaper. Thought I'd mention this for anyone in that situation. Gave away my 1 day fresh from KI on the way off the beach. Talked to some and mostly said only shorts were caught. Not what I was expecting for this time of the year. I hope this is not the new norm for the spring run. 6 cars deep at the air pumps waiting to get on at 3pm. Good to talk to Erik and his buddy on the way out.

Edited by 7nBait

Kings in De on Md?

Heading down to see if there are any black drum left tomorrow.,(DE)

Hopefully some blues still lurking.

Kids + sandflea rake= good times!

Sorry half drunk.. thanks for report.

I saw that,at 1st i thought your truck had a really clean rear window,then thought open power rear window,til i saw broken glass around the edges. Not knowing you very well,didn't say anything. Thought maybe you'd tossed a sand spike in bed and bounced up and hit window,done stuff like that myself. Really sorry to hear that.

Have a somewhat similar story,in about same area you were. Bad storm came up fast,caught me off guard, reeling in rods gathering everything up. Started truck,fumbling to get waders off just as storm struck,very high winds instantly...blew my door shut,locked of course. Raining like hell,soaked immediately,half in/half out of waders. Was able to slip a bait knife in and break sliding window latch-after i unloaded enough stuff to get in the bed and do it. Of course,storm let up by then.

My solution to assure this would never happen again was to put a spare key slathered in vaseline so it wouldn't rust into a small zip lock bag just big enough to hold it and into another zip lock bag to keep water from getting in and used very small zip ties to secure it high up under truck where i could yank it,breaking zip ties to get key. Been under there 6-7 years. Never had to use my little insurance policy,cause it's there,lol.

You can do same thing,go to hardware store and get another key cut off your truck key. It won't start your truck,but it will get you in,for about $3.  MC Mike.

36 mins ago, modelcitizen said:

I saw that,at 1st i thought your truck had a really clean rear window,then thought open power rear window,til i saw broken glass around the edges. Not knowing you very well,didn't say anything. Thought maybe you'd tossed a sand spike in bed and bounced up and hit window,done stuff like that myself. Really sorry to hear that.

I'm guessing you were one of the one's I gave bait out too. I don't ask for names but happy to help others. And the window was an added bonus to my trip..lol

Edited by 7nBait

I was at the back of Erik's truck when you pulled up asking if we wanted any bait as you were going off the island,we were working with fleas and fishbites.

Our trip was last minute,stopped at Buck's-horrible bunker,didn't buy any. Erik and i were talking-not 45 mins before you rolled up,somebody going off will probably stop and ask if we want their leftover bait,cause it's Sunday,lol. Thanks again,primo bunker,we took good care of it.

Oh yeah..Nice to see you again. I stopped off 4 time's up the beach to dump bait. Each person took 2 or 3 bunker each stop. I said just before you guys, next one who doesn't take it all it goes in the ocean. You guy's were my last stop..lol  Glad I could help.

Edited by 7nBait