Exit15w

Fishing The Hacky River

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Anyone Out Here Fish this,area,Im In Kearny,Been Fishing Them My Whole Life,The ,Anyone Else Fish Either of These Rivers???

Edited by DaveC
We don't really encourage people post exact areas here. You can do a search and find what you're looking for based on your original post.

1 hour ago, Exit15w said:

Anyone Out Here Fish this,area,Im In Kearny,Been Fishing Them My Whole Life,The ,Anyone Else Fish Either of These Rivers???

Nope no fish there

I've been dying to learn to fish the Hack, but have never made any progress. Moe has told me some stuff, but the best I've done is some small schoolies.

Probably not gonna see a lot of people gleefully jump in hear to share intel but fish are definitely in there and in decent sizes too. 

18 hours ago, Exit15w said:

Any river that flows into the sea in the northeast has fish with stripes. Like HighEndHooker, I'm 5 mins from the river and make the drive south. 

3 hours ago, aae0130 said:

That’s a ticket to hepatitis. 

Naw, river is cleaner than it's ever been. 

Saying that, I wouldnt eat fish that spend their entire lives there, lol.

The problem with the Hacky is finding good access. The public places mostly suck, have to do your homework on that river. 

On 5/2/2019 at 3:20 PM, Exit15w said:

YOu refer to two rivers.  Whats the other one?

Passaic River as a whole is they best river in NJ. And that's that...

Hackensack River can be fruitful.

My problem with both rivers, you will smell like swamp ass fishing them especially the salt infused sections.

14 hours ago, Sheisty said:

Passaic River as a whole is they best river in NJ. And that's that...

Hackensack River can be fruitful.

My problem with both rivers, you will smell like swamp ass fishing them especially the salt infused sections.

I beg to differ...i think the Raritan River "The Queen of Rivers," is the best/most diversified river in Jersey. From Clinton to Perth Amboy it offers so much. Native brook trout to seasonal bluefish; ya can't go wrong

11 hours ago, Frugal Fisherman said:

I beg to differ...i think the Raritan River "The Queen of Rivers," is the best/most diversified river in Jersey. From Clinton to Perth Amboy it offers so much. Native brook trout to seasonal bluefish; ya can't go wrong

This is a situation where we have so many good options to choose from. The Passaic headwaters are great for native trout while further down the river there are smallies and pike. The Raritan has some ginormous smallies....there is a video on this site of one that dwarfed anything I've ever seen come out of the Delaware. Stripers also go way up the Raritan. The Delaware has been of concern to me over the last ten years. I started fishing it in 1985 and it was not uncommon to catch 100 fish in a day. Yes, a lot of panfish and dink smallies but the river was swarming with life. The smallie population crashed about nine years ago.....a respected river guide said it was "young of the year" disease or something like that. The rock bass have disappeared but now there is a resident population of stripers and walleye are coming on strong. Supposedly flatheads have moved in as well. And then there's the Musconetcong which has stocked trout, native smallies and panfish.......

Back to the Hackensack, the late great JonS used to fish it a lot from a kayak. He said to look for current breaks such as bridge pilings and he used to throw paddle-tail rubber. He said the place was snag-fest but there were decent fish there. Then there is the Meadowlands with almost endless creeks, cuts, flats etc. He told me that he encountered a massive blitz one November day on a flat visible from the NJ Turnpike. Regardless, it seems a yak would be necessary to reach some of the better spots. I never bothered with the Meadowlands or the Hackensack.

I've seen th emost football sized smallies come out of the Passaic. And lets not forget about the pike that the raritan does not have. For those to reasons I believe the Passaic is greater than the Raritan.

Also, the Passic isn't pressured nowhere near as much as the raritan as a whole.