mets41

Polarized Prescription sunglasses for surf

Rate this topic

38 posts in this topic

On ‎5‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 6:48 PM, gellfex said:

My last pair of polarized prescription glasses from Zenni was $48. I've been getting my glasses from them for over a decade. Glasses from local vendors are a huge ripoff, I bet most of them are fabricated in China just like Zenni with a 1000% markup.

I just got a pair from Zenni, and I think they are the best Rx shades I've ever had, at least as far as how I see with them.

They were maybe $100, and they blow the spit out of the more expensive kinds I've had in the past.

3 mins ago, Belmo said:

I just got a pair from Zenni, and I think they are the best Rx shades I've ever had, at least as far as how I see with them.

They were maybe $100, and they blow the spit out of the more expensive kinds I've had in the past.

How'd you manage to spend that much??? Even if I got them progressive I'd not hit that. Funny how people are addicted to spending a ton on glasses and won't even consider Zenni.

My real problem with polarized shades is they make seeing the fishfinder a problem, I have to tilt my head!

3 mins ago, gellfex said:

How'd you manage to spend that much??? Even if I got them progressive I'd not hit that. Funny how people are addicted to spending a ton on glasses and won't even consider Zenni.

My real problem with polarized shades is they make seeing the fishfinder a problem, I have to tilt my head!

Just looked it up: $85.89. $33 for the frame, $33 for the lenses, and $20 for the anti-reflective coating.

I look like a doofus, but I see great. :th:

4 mins ago, Belmo said:

I look like a doofus, but I see great. :th:

Why'd you pick doofus frames from the thousands they have? I picked a trendy round tortoiseshell.  My previous were metal rimmed rectangular like the star wore on Burn Notice.

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 5/6/2019 at 4:38 PM, gellfex said:

That's because they messed up your script...there's a number in prescription called axis and that's the part they got wrong. Polarized lenses work by changing the direction that light passes through the lenses and when things aren't lined-up properly, that's when people get the effect that you describe...Idk how old your lenses are but if it's under a year, i would tell your optometrist exactly the effects you're having and get them to give u new lenses at no cost

*by the way, i know it because i work a lens supplier*

Edited by Frugal Fisherman

24 mins ago, Frugal Fisherman said:

That's because they messed up your script...there's a number in prescription called axis and that's the part they got wrong. Polarized lenses work by changing the direction that light passes through the lenses and when things aren't lined-up properly, that's when people get the effect that you describe...Idk how old your lenses are but if it's under a year, i would tell your optometrist exactly the effects you're having and get them to give u new lenses at no cost

*by the way, i know it because i work a lens supplier*

So you're saying there is a convention between lens makers and LCD screen makers to use the same primary polarity axis?  That a horizontal screen isn't just a vertical screen turned on it's side, but has rotated polarity?

19 mins ago, yarddog59 said:

I need new glasses and new polarized prescription sunglasses. I'm not familiar with Zenni. Any guidance on how to proceed?

You need your prescription, and your pupillary distance, the distance between your eyes Center to Center in millimeters. It also helps to roughly know how wide your current glasses that you like are, and how big the lenses are to be able to compare frames. Then just shop among their thousands of frames.

They have a thing for uploading your picture and pupillary distance and then they can drop any of their frames on top of the picture, but I find the scaling never works right.

x2 on the thanks. my guy has been taking me to the cleaners for years....my last exam I bought 2 new pairs and a new set of lenses for a third

with the exam I was out almost 1300

About 5 or 6 years ago I asked my Optometrist to find me a pair of wrap-style  RX polarized glasses that wouldn’t break the bank. I have decent insurance, but doesn’t cover high-priced frames. We found these Nikes and I pulled the trigger sight-unseen. Love them!! Using my insurance, I get a new pair every year for about $100 out of pocket.  Then I take my prescription and buy regular glasses on zenni for $18.95. Can’t beat Zenni! 

AADC5D24-2A53-4AB9-BB98-F56AA1A667EF.png

the second one....if your young and healthy an optometrist is a cost effective method, but as you age, or have issues a real doc is invaluable.

I happily pay for his exam and tests....it is the 300.00 to 400.00 dollar a pair eyeglasses he charges. The low budget stuff is 200 plus

They use to make them in house and you could get in 2 days, now my guy subs that part out.....see you next week, or the following week

Next time I will pass on the glasses and try a online retailer

I get my exams at Sears! Really. He's a nice competent dude that has the concession there, he's not an employee, nor does he actually sell the glasses, that's their dept. I envy him, seems like a nice, relaxed gig, much lower pressure than running a full on office.

I got my first pair of Costas polarized bifocals ordered from my optometrist. Look great, fit great, see great. Expensive. They wrap around and I do not experience vision issues. Didn’t know of less expensive options.