mets41

Polarized Prescription sunglasses for surf

Rate this topic

38 posts in this topic

20 mins ago, Deep Hole said:

Big $$$$$$$ for those Maui Jim's, they better be good!!

Yeah, I have a vision plan that picks up the first $130 and then 20% of the difference.  

I just bought a set of Oakley polarized sunglasses. Disappointing, but I will be buying a pair of prescriptions Polarized soon and Me thinks it will be Big $$$$.. I'll be doing my homework before making that purchase!!!

Funny but I was just thinking of replacing my prescription sunglasses. I asked the guy at the store and he said get the lenses but don't waste your money on the fancy name brand frames. Your not getting their lenses so just get a plain pair of frames. Thought about it and it does make sense. That right there can save some big bucks.

16 mins ago, horsefly said:

Funny but I was just thinking of replacing my prescription sunglasses. I asked the guy at the store and he said get the lenses but don't waste your money on the fancy name brand frames. Your not getting their lenses so just get a plain pair of frames. Thought about it and it does make sense. That right there can save some big bucks.

I followed the same advise about 8 years ago and I bought the frame from Costco. Still using these glasses when I drive or fish. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

My last pair of polarized prescription glasses from Zenni was $48. I've been getting my glasses from them for over a decade. Glasses from local vendors are a huge ripoff, I bet most of them are fabricated in China just like Zenni with a 1000% markup.

Edited by gellfex

Posted (edited) · Report post

The brand names like Maui Jim and Costa are really cool looking glasses. The problem when I fish there are no chics around so what’s the point spending high $$$ to impress the guys.,, :)

Edited by levari

Thanks for posting. I am Getting my eyes examined as I write this and I am looking to get polarized sun glasses. I can’t wear contacts at 5:00 am. 

If you have bi-focals or progressives, be careful to not get wrap arounds or ones where the lenses curve much. It distorts and is disorienting, especially when trying to walk rocks.

JD

On 5/2/2019 at 6:14 PM, horsefly said:

I agree 100%   I like to get the Flexon wire frames.  they are made of Titanium and are pretty much indestructible while still being light and comfortable.    You can also get the frames with the Polarized Clip which will give you more color choices than with Polarized prescription lenses, but the clip ons always seem to get scratched and messed up easily.   Some of the clip ons you will see the clip on magnet that holds it on in the middle of your field of vision and it take a while to get used to ignoring it.   

I usually just get the dark grey Polarized lenses.  Great for in the car, fishing or whatever ...

On 5/2/2019 at 6:14 PM, horsefly said:

This is really dependent on where and what you get.

You have some of these mom and pop places that will take oakley frames and get some random lab to make cheap lenses for those frames.

Costa/Oakley/Maui all have their labs that make prescription lenses with their high end materials.  Just have to make sure beforehand that the place is getting the lenses from the manufacturer.  If it's a place that can turn them around in a day or two, you aren't getting the genuine article.