cudoho

IBSP, NJ back bay

10 posts in this topic

Hello SOL,

just got my Outback and planning to launch it in the park, is there any kayak access for back bay areas? and any things i should do or not to do back bay?

thank you

Seek out a map at the park, A Guide to the Sedge Islands, it will show you different routes you can take.  I would caution you to paddle it during the day, a lot of it is too shallow to drop in the drive.

1 hour ago, fishless said:

Seek out a map at the park, A Guide to the Sedge Islands, it will show you different routes you can take.  I would caution you to paddle it during the day, a lot of it is too shallow to drop in the drive.

Agree... for the first 100+ yards you will need to paddle. During low tide you may also need to get out and pull the kayak a bit.

Low tide has very little water and lots of mud. Two launch sites one has a few parking spots by ramp the other site you park across the street.  The fee is 5 bucks to enter the park. The First ramp has  a few parking spots by it. The road is crap to the ramp lots of brush and bumps beating up your ride. The second launch is  further south. In better shape but you have to park about a block away. Kayak cart would come in handy,  It is really easy to get lost there. A gps would come in handy.

I drive down the road to the ramp, unloaded everything, and park. If you know where you’re going, you can navigate it where you avoid the shallows. I found it out the hard way several times.

3 hours ago, fishless said:

You can drop off at the 2nd launch spot and then go park your car avoiding the need for a cart. 

that is what I do...

It is pretty obvious they don’t want kayakers in IBSP. First thing the guy at the gate says is you can’t go in the ocean?  When you travel down the dirt road to the first launch you will see what I mean. You will be wishing you were in an old truck with 4 wheel drive and  a bad finish.  There are about 3 or 4 parking spaces. The road is barely wide enough  for 1 truck. The second access has more parking and a better access road. But you can’t park nearby they water. Honesty I would think you could find a better place to go fishing?  Also don’t plan on using the ramp at low tide unless you enjoy a good mud bath? 

I launch at the dike- it is right across from the sedge islands. Access to deeper water immediately. Strong current tho- I never had a problem in 2015 outback. I struggled in my Jackson BigRig. You have to park in the cul de sac and cart your kayak down a sandy path. It isnt too bad tho.