rockyoutdoors

Buy A New Trailer Or Rebuild my Old One......

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

14 mins ago, ferret said:

My trailer has discs, but they are rotted to the the core and do not work.  Also my trailer has two axles but brakes on only one, thinking about adding discs to the second axle, if so do I need to run a second bake fluid line fro the actuator or can I just split the line near the calipers?

I think you can split it.

But I wouldn't bother.  I figure my rig, with trailer, probably comes in at about 8500# or so.  It stops beautifully with brakes on only one axle.

Ferret,

for the additional axle brakes you simply add a tee near the front axle and connect to the second set of calipers. Having brakes on the second axle makes a huge improvement in braking ability. 

On 5/1/2019 at 7:01 PM, rockyoutdoors said:

I have a 2004 Load Rite tandem boat trailer with rollers that I have maintained as good as I could over the years. I haul my 22' boat where ever the bite is from the Raritan Bay to Cape May. I started pricing out a new one and I am looking in the area of $5,000.00. I honestly did not know they cost that much. What I would replace is the torsion axels, rollers, washers, clips, fenders, U-bolts and nuts.  So my question is has anyone re built a trailer and how satisfied were you after doing so?

I rebuilt mine two years ago A 1999 Loadrite with a 5800lb capacity. 27ft long.New everything.Nuts bolts ,cross members. rollers. Everything!

Cost was nearly $3500 for all the parts. I saved about a $1000 over the price of a new one. Knowing what I know now after doing mine. That $3500 would have been better spent on a new trailer. I probably put over 80 hours into rebuilding. Mostly trying to cut off bolts, getting parts to line up after being stressed for so many years. The only satisfaction afterwards was the pride in a job well done. Which I could have felt just as easily with a new trailer. Rebuilt or not, when it comes time to sell, you still have an old trailer.

3 mins ago, The TideRunner said:

I rebuilt mine two years ago A 1999 Loadrite with a 5800lb capacity. 27ft long.New everything.Nuts bolts ,cross members. rollers. Everything!

Cost was nearly $3500 for all the parts. I saved about a $1000 over the price of a new one. Knowing what I know now after doing mine. That $3500 would have been better spent on a new trailer. I probably put over 80 hours into rebuilding. Mostly trying to cut off bolts, getting parts to line up after being stressed for so many years. The only satisfaction afterwards was the pride in a job well done. Which I could have felt just as easily with a new trailer. Rebuilt or not, when it comes time to sell, you still have an old trailer.

I decided to go with a new one myself. After adding up all the cost of the parts and the time to do it it just made more sense. Working on the trailer would take away from my fishing time and that is limited as is. Plus I might trailer my boat down to Florida this Winter and it would give me peace of mind knowing it was all new.

Thanks for all of the replies guys I appreciate it.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I only have a single axle (heavy one) and all of my work has been maintenance (with upgrading where possible) as opposed to an overhaul but looking back over the past 3 years and I spent way more than I would of if given the option to just buy new. I think the only pro to upgrading (if you have some solid parts to work with as a base) is that you can opt to install and use what you want for parts. My actuator is from UFP, stainless brakes and pads from Kodiak, and adjusted my trailer to exactly fit my boat and tow rig. I just put new Goodyear Endurance Load d tires on new rims and replaced the leaf springs. Roller parts were astonishingly expensive for what they are and you constantly ask yourself if you are throwing good money over a cliff. If I could go back in time to when I bought the boat, I would have bought a new tandem torsion bunk trailer and been a little more worry free than my year over year updates. Next boat I will buy a new trailer and sell what is under the boat for market value.

Like you said, would rather be fishing and for any boat updates, would rather it be what neat electronics or accessories to get.

Edited by NHAngler

Posted (edited) · Report post

I just replaced axel hubs and springs on a 2005 Karavan aluminum trailer cost about $400.00 it was a easy job because everything was taken apart when new and had a liberal coat of grease applied.

so all my u bolts were reusable the hubs were galvanized off eBay $58.00 for two! Springs online we’re about $60.00 and axel galvanized 3500lb was $180.00 from northern tool could not beat that price anywhere 

always coat all bolts and springs with a coat of grease I even do all my outboard bolts saves a lot of headaches and money I!

Edited by mkus

Working on replacing the U-bolts on my Load Rite tandem now...replaced all the electrical last year......just replaced all the lag screws in the bunks and now on to address the other issues.

I see my trailer as my boats range.....id get a new one...even if you do a great job rebuilding the old one it wont really increase the value of your set up..where u say 2019 trailer in the future if you sell it will more than make up the price difference...imho.