Update from FWC, C&R

Rate this topic

WReceived  an email from FWC. 

Up until May 31 2020, snook and red fish are catch and release. Trout are catch and release only. The trout is quite a change, they used to let you keep but release any 20” or greater. 

https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/FLFFWCC/bulletins/24238a4

Edited by saltfisherman

Good move, few years ago had a fish Kill due to drop in water temp and  Snook took beating ,closed for year or so and now coming back strong.

As noted the Red Tide had no effect on Big Bend area (Spring Hill to Horse shoe beach  (Hernando, Citrus, Levy, Dixie county) 

Of Note during summer months  late June to mid  Sept generally speaking fishing only half day, water temp will rise to Approx 90 ,along with this  Scallop season starts late June to Sept and area is full of weeds,  Homosassa, Crystal River  as scallop divers tear it loose and fishing hard to keep weeds off of line,lures , Work on Boat, Tackle during down time, fishing off shore  Check for what fish season is open may not be worth time/fuel to go out for any reef fish

OH yes prices start Falling as of 1 May until scallop season starts , (Late June) then hard pressed to find a room in Crystal River, Homosassa, Inglis.    Al  

So before anybody freaks out this is only for SW coast of Florida, here on the east coast we are still open till May 31....yes counties were posted but most don't know what areas you guys were talking about ....and as far as the snooks numbers go... i have heard from guys fishing central and northern part of the west coast that the numbers are good and size are up again....

Semper Fi > Always Faithful
"Everytime History repeats itself, the price of the lesson goes up"

4 hours ago, Drako said:

So before anybody freaks out this is only for SW coast of Florida, here on the east coast we are still open till May 31....yes counties were posted but most don't know what areas you guys were talking about ....and as far as the snooks numbers go... i have heard from guys fishing central and northern part of the west coast that the numbers are good and size are up again....

Drake, if an individual can’t read and use google maps there is no helping them. They obviously have no idea where they are. Plus, you can’t fix dumb. On top of all that the link shows a map. 

From my limited observations, this was definitely necessary.  All three of these species have been scarce this spring in the waters I fish.  Must be tough on charter captains though.  A client pays 300-400 bucks or whatever and can't even bring his inshore slam home.  Oh well, hopefully most see the value in catch and release.

We try to keep it simple and it's always easier to use the "Kiss System" in everything we post...I for one hate to click on any links on a open forum, but that's me... in fact i didnt click on your link... i went straight to the FWC site ..... and calling members dumb, just because you believe they should know how to click on a link>>> Come on man you are better then that... Again we are here to "Help" and there is no such thing as a dumb question... all i'm saying is to keep things simple.. heck they might be some folks that are first timers to Computers, i know a few old timers that to this day have no clue what a link/google maps or any other Computer shortcuts mean... and if you can't say something nice...then don't say it at all... and yes there were plenty of times when i said stupid things on these forums, lesson was learned and i move on...:rav:

Kroc i never took much faith in what Guides say...they are the ones' that push the limits/slot even when the gamefish in question is in no danger.. Yes i believe they have a hard job, but they are the ones that decided on that.. Go to any of the meeting and you will see what i'm talking about...IMO if it was up to them, they would put more laws on our gamefish...Rec fishing isnt what's keeping the numbers down, but that's what they would have you believe... Do you belong to any fishing forums in your area?... Because like i said before the guys who i know on that coast are all doing well...but they also know their waters... Don't get me wrong when something come thru and brings down the numbers, I"m all in for closing the season and giving them a rest... but in saying that i also believe "Everyone" should also follow suit not just the Rec fishermen..

Drake, I’m not going to get into some peeing match on what I said or how I said it. If you believe I called members dumb then that’s your reading comprehension issue. You stated locations and it’s not here but there. It’s very simple to see the area it covers using a map posted on the web site and if some one can’t understand a simple map there is no help for them. 

Drako, while back FWC wanted to Increase daily limit of keeping One Redfish up to Two, all local Guides in Crystal River Homosassa was  Against this increase, today I do not actually Know if it is one or two, I suppose I could call local Guide and ask , as far as inshore slam,  Fished Big Bend area for over 20 years and never came in with slam , Guess it was not part of my intent that day .

Sure may catch a stray here and there  finding some good spots (SPOTS) takes work, patience, exchange with others, what   lures, Tackle, learn a lot by going to Ramp and looking at what gear is being used ,also Bribery , Take Local Tackle shop Mom Pop,  ED and Mrs ED take her couple Qt Bags of fresh Picked Blackberries, Ed you fix Al's rod today, Drop off $10.00 Bucket of Wings from Winn Dixie, few days later I need 3 Dz Shrimp Cant Count more  like healthy 4 DZ 

One important Virtue that  most do not have is Patience, I am telling you each and every Sun Rise is a Blessing and rest of Day is a Bonus, Enjoy your day.    Al

11 mins ago, quest450 said:

Hey D R A K E you need to work on your reading compression issues :laugh:

I know i'm kinda stupid that way :laugh:.... I mean if you say in "General" that you can't help dumb people and the only people reading this are members...hmmmm what does that suggest ... no peeing contest here...i don't try to lower myself to calling others little girls anymore... i guess i have grown LOL... but back in the day... talk about unleashing my  comprehension issues ....oh lord i would have gotten a couple of warning by now...it's all good "saltfisherman" no need to get yourself all excited over your words... :box:

Al I'm not that crazy about FWC either but that's a whole other story... and as far as an inshore slam goes...i have gotten slams without even knowing it LOL...most of the day's were when i was taking new folks fishing and i was just fishing for fun/bites... i tend to target certain gamefish nowadays and imo slams are more of a tourist thing...but that's me....

Edited by Drako

in my own thoughts if it wasn't for during 1970's Chef Paul Prudhomme , most folks would not have know what the heck a red fish was . I fished with some guides up in Crystal River boat policy was ( 1 ) Red Fish to take but it's more like two back then . My PB was a 31" on a Gold Spoon ...I miss that place !  Drako your ok man !  

If it has fins i want to catch it 

3 hours ago, Hook I said:

in my own thoughts if it wasn't for during 1970's Chef Paul Prudhomme , most folks would not have know what the heck a red fish was . 

It's not just your thoughts. Blackened Redfish almost wiped out the whole damn species everywhere