John E

Small Pick-ups

35 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, JimW said:

Nice truck, good luck with it.   Looking to downsize from an old F150 that’s been good to me.  Plan to look at Colorado for a little more leg room in back and option of a longer bed.   Think Ford should consider a long wheelbase/ bed version. 

Thanks!

I mostly use 2 piece surf rods (10s and 9 ft) and they fit in the bed with no problem. Although I know for some, the 5 foot bed might be an issue esp those with long 1 piece rods. 

On 5/3/2019 at 4:01 PM, faithless said:

I had a 2000 4.0L ranger. Now I drive a 2017 2.7L 4X4 tacoma access cab. Both in 5 speed manual. The taco is not bad in a 5 speed. It is under-powered and accelerates slowly but can do 90mph on highways without a problem and haul full loads of sheetrock, 2x4s, mulch in the bed from HD when needed. It is good enough for me and for 25k brand new it was much better than buying a used taco with 75k miles for 19k. Also any other truck if you want 4x4 the price jumps significantly because you have to upgrade the whole trim. 

If I wanted the V6 in 6 speed I had to move up to the Sport Crew Cab and lose 1 foot of the bed. For a whopping 12k more. Not worth it to me. I am not sure I would buy the 2.7L taco in auto. I would imagine the auto would hunt a lot on the highways.

I do love the truck but I hate Toyota. There are a lot of issues with the 3rd gens. The dealer "fixed" them but left a bitter taste in my mouth. Toyota doesn't stand behind their products anymore it is all about profit. The QC is just not there and it is on the dealers to take care of the problems.

I was eyeballing the new ranger. It would be my first automatic truck. But they should really offer the crew cab in a 6 foot bed. Also bring the manual back. 

I guess when Toyota sells as many vehicles as they do someone will always have a negative experience. However, its not even a debate that Toyota produces a much better product than any domestic and most all other companies. The longevity of their vehicles esp the SUV and Trucks is brilliant 

On ‎5‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 2:24 AM, TheBlueLine said:

OP, I was in a similar situation recently.

I decided to downsize from a 17 Ford Raptor to a 19 Ranger.

(Been a Ram and Jeep guy for years but decided to give Ford a try)

No regrets so far. 

The Ranger is surprisingly, comfortable, not slow ( 4cyl turbo),

drives like a car, handles like an suv, decent mileage and the optional FX4 package gets you FX suspension, Terrain management and rear locker. Been using it on sand/beach since fishing season started here in April. (No issues so far) 

That FX4 package is worth its weigh in gold... it allows you to crawl, which the only other vehicle on the planet that has this feature is the Raptor... No other competition even comes close in offroad capabilities... 

On 5/20/2019 at 1:45 PM, minivin5 said:

That FX4 package is worth its weigh in gold... it allows you to crawl, which the only other vehicle on the planet that has this feature is the Raptor... No other competition even comes close in offroad capabilities... 

Not true. Tacoma has had Multi terrain select crawl control and lockers for several years now. Locking diffs are nothing new. They've been around for a very long time and are still available in several manufacturers vehicles which also allows you to crawl. The GM Colorado and Canyon also have crawl control for a few years now. Aside from the Raptor, the Ranger is just the newest entry in the small truck segment to offer what others have already.