John E

Small Pick-ups

82 posts in this topic

The RAM's have always been pretty cheep to lease.  If they continue to offer the deep discounts and depreciation only leases, I'll keep subscribing.  I'm not sure how they are making money on these leases but not my problem. 

I like my Nissan Frontier a lot.

Test drove a bunch of others prior to buying and liked the price and the truck more than the others.

5 hours ago, John E said:

Gas mileage. Tired of filling it up all the time.  Averaging around 15. 

Probably new.  I need a crew cab.

You’re probably not going to get a lot more gas mileage out of a midsize truck. The real world mileage is usually much less than what advertised. I average 17 in my Tacoma. The only truck that gets higher mpg is the diesel Colorado. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I had a 2000 4.0L ranger. Now I drive a 2017 2.7L 4X4 tacoma access cab. Both in 5 speed manual. The taco is not bad in a 5 speed. It is under-powered and accelerates slowly but can do 90mph on highways without a problem and haul full loads of sheetrock, 2x4s, mulch in the bed from HD when needed. It is good enough for me and for 25k brand new it was much better than buying a used taco with 75k miles for 19k. Also any other truck if you want 4x4 the price jumps significantly because you have to upgrade the whole trim. 

If I wanted the V6 in 6 speed I had to move up to the Sport Crew Cab and lose 1 foot of the bed. For a whopping 12k more. Not worth it to me. I am not sure I would buy the 2.7L taco in auto. I would imagine the auto would hunt a lot on the highways.

I do love the truck but I hate Toyota. There are a lot of issues with the 3rd gens. The dealer "fixed" them but left a bitter taste in my mouth. Toyota doesn't stand behind their products anymore it is all about profit. The QC is just not there and it is on the dealers to take care of the problems.

I was eyeballing the new ranger. It would be my first automatic truck. But they should really offer the crew cab in a 6 foot bed. Also bring the manual back. 

Edited by faithless

3 hours ago, faithless said:

I had a 2000 4.0L ranger. Now I drive a 2017 2.7L 4X4 tacoma access cab. Both in 5 speed manual. The taco is not bad in a 5 speed. It is under-powered and accelerates slowly but can do 90mph on highways without a problem and haul full loads of sheetrock, 2x4s, mulch in the bed from HD when needed. It is good enough for me and for 25k brand new it was much better than buying a used taco with 75k miles for 19k. Also any other truck if you want 4x4 the price jumps significantly because you have to upgrade the whole trim. 

If I wanted the V6 in 6 speed I had to move up to the Sport Crew Cab and lose 1 foot of the bed. For a whopping 12k more. Not worth it to me. I am not sure I would buy the 2.7L taco in auto. I would imagine the auto would hunt a lot on the highways.

I do love the truck but I hate Toyota. There are a lot of issues with the 3rd gens. The dealer "fixed" them but left a bitter taste in my mouth. Toyota doesn't stand behind their products anymore it is all about profit. The QC is just not there and it is on the dealers to take care of the problems.

I was eyeballing the new ranger. It would be my first automatic truck. But they should really offer the crew cab in a 6 foot bed. Also bring the manual back. 

I agree with what you are saying about Toyota and quality, but I think if you will find Ford to be pretty much the same with much worse vehicle quality and dealer experience. 

17 hours ago, faithless said:

I don’t think I’d say Toyota doesn’t stand behind their product.  Can’t comment on the 3rd gens, but they’re replacing the frame on my 09.  Good luck finding another manufacturer to fix a 10 year old truck.

9 hours ago, mitchellgoosen said:

I don’t think I’d say Toyota doesn’t stand behind their product.  Can’t comment on the 3rd gens, but they’re replacing the frame on my 09.  Good luck finding another manufacturer to fix a 10 year old truck.

They fixed the frame on my 2010. I've never had a problem with their trucks or service.

On 5/3/2019 at 4:01 PM, faithless said:

I have rented a few with the smaller engine. It is slow, the V6 is like 280 HP

OP, I was in a similar situation recently.

I decided to downsize from a 17 Ford Raptor to a 19 Ranger.

(Been a Ram and Jeep guy for years but decided to give Ford a try)

No regrets so far. 

The Ranger is surprisingly, comfortable, not slow ( 4cyl turbo),

drives like a car, handles like an suv, decent mileage and the optional FX4 package gets you FX suspension, Terrain management and rear locker. Been using it on sand/beach since fishing season started here in April. (No issues so far) 

On ‎5‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 2:24 AM, TheBlueLine said:

OP, I was in a similar situation recently.

I decided to downsize from a 17 Ford Raptor to a 19 Ranger.

(Been a Ram and Jeep guy for years but decided to give Ford a try)

No regrets so far. 

The Ranger is surprisingly, comfortable, not slow ( 4cyl turbo),

drives like a car, handles like an suv, decent mileage and the optional FX4 package gets you FX suspension, Terrain management and rear locker. Been using it on sand/beach since fishing season started here in April. (No issues so far) 

Thanks for the info.  I'm looking to do something in late summer/early fall.  Glad to get some first hand knowledge on the new Ranger.

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, John E said:

Thanks for the info.  I'm looking to do something in late summer/early fall.  Glad to get some first hand knowledge on the new Ranger.

No prob. I was a big Ram, Jeep, Hemi guy for years.

I just recently switched over to Ford, only because I really like the size and versatility of the Ranger.

Test drive one if you have a chance.

On long Highway stretch, I never felt it “underpowered” with 4 adults and loaded with gear in the back.

Smooth on the highway, with power to spare when u need it (Ecoboost Turbo) but still very capable off road.

The only con (so far) is that the rear seat area is alot smaller than a ford f150 or Ram 1500 so it can get cramped back there.

B5213EB7-B6D7-4057-9261-229D33E01331.jpeg

7F84D756-14B2-4500-9048-0339D4E5CAA7.jpeg

30EA8DC0-9873-4278-B212-4751EAD69052.jpeg

B5A2E1E6-039D-4184-AE49-60AC8C983A89.jpeg

9A35E2FF-F57E-4995-8781-53CAF575606B.jpeg

Edited by TheBlueLine
Pics added

Nice looking truck.  I have a quad cab now and the back seats look to be about the same size.  Definitely will look into the Rangers when the time comes.  Da' wife has had a few Ford Edges and they have treated us well.  No complaints at all. 

12 mins ago, John E said:

Nice looking truck.  I have a quad cab now and the back seats look to be about the same size.  Definitely will look into the Rangers when the time comes.  Da' wife has had a few Ford Edges and they have treated us well.  No complaints at all. 

Thanks and GoodLuck!

Definitely recommend that you test drive whichever truck you decide to get. :)

41 mins ago, TheBlueLine said:

Thanks and GoodLuck!

Definitely recommend that you test drive whichever truck you decide to get. :)

Nice truck, good luck with it.   Looking to downsize from an old F150 that’s been good to me.  Plan to look at Colorado for a little more leg room in back and option of a longer bed.   Think Ford should consider a long wheelbase/ bed version.