John E

Small Pick-ups

35 posts in this topic

Thinking of possibly downsizing the Ram 1500 later this year to a smaller pick-up.  What are your thoughts on the Tacomas, Rangers, Colorados,  and/or Canyons?  I assume the Colorados and Canyons are very similar.

My Tacoma is the best truck I have ever driven, I will definitely buy another in a few years. I bought the Tacoma in 2012 and it still drives like the day I bought it.

I downsized from a Ram 1500 also. The Ram was OK but I'll never go back.

Tacoma for the win. My wife and I purchased a 2015 TRD (Last of the 4.0L) and love it, the one downside to these trucks is the price, highest resale value out of any vehicle I believe.  

I would have preferred a 2500 diesel but really didn't have a use for it.  

Have had  a 2 Chevy Silverados 2500 for work , were my beach rigs for years , my wife has the 1500, good on the beach but I got a Colorado last year and it's the best beach truck we have ever had , even with the 4 cylinder, 30K all in.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Tacoma

ps - I had 2 Tacomas for ~13 years. I was very happy with both of them. I got a Tundra this past fall. I've had fullsize trucks before, always liked them but the mileage can be a killer at times, so I knew what I was getting myself into.

Today I had to drop off my truck for some work and they gave me a loaner Tacoma, 2019, same trim level. It feels incredibly small. It's a nice truck but I like the full size better. The only thing that makes the full size doable for me is that my job is less than 15 miles from home so the mileage issue doesn't kill me there.

Edited by Drew C.

new tacomas are underpowered.. i also didn't like the feeling of laying down when driving them.. drove like sh#t.. went with a tundra.. the new rangers look nice and very capable.. 

I don’t know if I’d say it’s underpowered. It has some balls to it.  It doesn’t do what the tundra does but I wouldn’t expect it to. 

2 hours ago, Unibrow said:

new tacomas are underpowered.. i also didn't like the feeling of laying down when driving them.. drove like sh#t.. went with a tundra.. the new rangers look nice and very capable.. 

Agreed, not to mention the price is about the same and if you go with the 4.6L V8 in the Tundra the mileage is also about the same. I have had 7 new Toyota small pickups and Tacomas over the years, I have had a Tundra for the last 9 years, only advantage for me to go back to a Tacoma would be the smaller size and easier to park and maneuver. 

I looked into the Taco used, not worth it.  Buy it new, keep it for as long as  you need it and then sell it for 2/3 of what you paid for it, making it the cheapest car you will ever own.

On ‎5‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 5:02 PM, FISH BUCKET said:

What is your reason for downsizing?

Gas mileage. Tired of filling it up all the time.  Averaging around 15. 

On ‎5‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 8:23 PM, chris koltz said:

New or used?

/

Probably new.  I need a crew cab.