AlwaysWading

Sod question

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Had some sod laid down last week and I noticed it's turning a little yellow .I've been watering twice a day for around an hour each time, just wondering why it's yellow. Thought maybe I wasn't watering enough but some plants turn yellow when watered too much.  Whatcha you think ?

Did you lay the Sod your self or have a commercial Co do it, contact Sod Farm and ask them,

even Garden center at H/D Lowes may have an answer

My guess is to much water

1 hour ago, AlwaysWading said:

Had some sod laid down last week and I noticed it's turning a little yellow .I've been watering twice a day for around an hour each time, just wondering why it's yellow. Thought maybe I wasn't watering enough but some plants turn yellow when watered too much.  Whatcha you think ?

Sounds like way too much water. Can you lift an edge and see if there is any white root growth?  

Posted (edited) · Report post

Did the sod get put down over torn-up old grass or fresh loam?  If over live vegetation, it could be dying and the stank seems to yellow/kill the sod.  Some half-fast patio guys did that to me.  

Edited by tbyrne

17 hours ago, tbyrne said:

Did the sod get put down over torn-up old grass or fresh loam?  If over live vegetation, it could be dying and the stank seems to yellow/kill the sod.  Some half-fast patio guys did that to me.  

No ,we tore-up the old grass laid down top soil and then put on the sod.

22 hours ago, Al Sears said:

Did you lay the Sod your self or have a commercial Co do it, contact Sod Farm and ask them,

even Garden center at H/D Lowes may have an answer

My guess is to much water

21 hours ago, mark77 said:

Sounds like way too much water. Can you lift an edge and see if there is any white root growth?  

I 'll look ,I cut back to watering 30 min. twice a day and on cloudy, damp days no water...…..It's yellow ,not brown which makes me think the same, too much water.

Most general plant care things I have read have always said yellow is over watering. I'm in agreement with the others. 

It's damn near impossible to overwater week old sod.  

I mean, if it was going to rain for week you wouldn't cover it.

Sounds like bad prep underneath.

Need pics.

On 5/2/2019 at 10:54 AM, AlwaysWading said:

No ,we tore-up the old grass laid down top soil and then put on the sod.

I 'll look ,I cut back to watering 30 min. twice a day and on cloudy, damp days no water...…..It's yellow ,not brown which makes me think the same, too much water.

did you put any fertilizer under it?

55 mins ago, Sandflee said:

did you put any fertilizer under it?

New top soil, I cut back on watering to once a day for 30-40 mins., it looks good now.